Chapter 39

A cool breeze blew through the open window. The crisp air almost made the teacher shiver, but it felt refreshing.

Miss Weed took a deep breath and untied her bonnet. She always got to the schoolhouse a little bit early so she could get everything ready before the children arrived. Usually, the mornings were peaceful and wonderful for her. She had always enjoyed planning out the day's lessons and preparing herself to greet the children with a smile. But, with each passing day, her job seemed to be getting harder. As she reached her desk, she tapped her fingers against its smooth, wooden surface.

"Now, where should I put it?" she wondered. She looked down at the small lump of brown paper that she was holding in her hand. Wrapped inside there was a delicious turkey sandwich. It was everything she needed for strength at lunch time. But would she be able to taste it? She frowned in frustration and deep thought. She had gone hungry too many times that week. Now her eyes searched the building for a safe place to stow her lunch. "I don't know how it happens," she thought.

"If someone is stealing my lunches, they must be a genius. I've tried to hide it in so many places! How could they find it each time?" She shook her head in confusion. Then, for lack of a better idea, she set her lunch on a high bookshelf that sat by the window.

Time ticked slowly by. Miss Weed straightened the things on her desk and set everything in order. The quiet of the room made her work seem pleasant. But, just as she had finished her last job and the sun was beginning to rise, she heard a strange noise behind her. The lady paused and listened. It was a scuffling, scratching sort of noise. Her brows raised uneasily as the sound came closer and closer. With a tingle of fear she turned around and then let out a terrified scream.

Creeping in at the window, two black eyes stared at her behind a dark mask. But it wasn't the face of a scamp or burglar. There was a big raccoon coming inside, sniffing as he went.

"Get away from me!" Miss Weed screamed again. She took a few steps backward, making sure she was a long ways away from the furry robber. The raccoon was plundering around with curious little fingers, and to the teacher's horror, he was climbing up toward her lunch. "No! Stop it!" she cried again, stamping her foot against the floor. She was trying to scare the creature away, but all he did was snarl his nose at her and make a frightening sound.

The teacher let out another timid shriek that echoed outside and reached the ears of two early students. At the sound, Peter's horse gave a nervous start and took a few faltering steps away from the schoolhouse.

"What was that?" Benjamin cried worriedly. Peter didn't answer. In a flash, he had leapt off of Storm's back and darted up the stairs. He threw the door open with a crash.

"Miss Weed, what's wrong?" he asked. The teacher gave a startled gasp, but as soon as her eyes rested on the boy, her white face looked relieved.

"Peter, he's taking my lunch!" she cried in an angry voice. She pointed a finger toward the window but when the door had banged against the wall, the raccoon had gotten scared. The boy looked just in time to see the fuzzy creature jumping out of the window holding the lady's sandwich between its teeth. The teacher huffed in frustration. "So now I know!" she exclaimed. "He's the one who has been taking it!" She put her hands on her hips, as if she was about to scold a naughty child and marched over to the window. "I don't know how I haven't see him before," she continued, "but I can tell you one thing: this is the last time I'll be leaving the window open in the mornings!"

By that time, Peter's gazing eyes had been joined by four others. Benjamin and Julian were standing in the open doorway, looking confused and concerned.