Chapter 34

"It's the truth," Mrs. Bufford said in a hushed voice. "You know I'm not the kind of person to pass on falsehoods, Jane." Emiline's mother glanced down at the floor, hiding the smile that wanted to turn her lips up. If anyone was known to spread false rumors, it was Rene Bufford. At last, Jane looked up at the lady with gentle eyes.

"But, Rene," she began, "I don't think any of the children in our town would even think about stealing. They're all such dears."

"Dears?" Mrs. Bufford repeated in a squeak. "What about those McDougalls? You know that Peter practically battered poor Julian Gray." She shook her head in disgust. "It's unimaginable! Who would think to harm a respectable boy like that? You never know Jane. The McDougalls are rather poor. Stealing might not be far from that hooligan's mind." Jane shuffled a big parcel from one of her arms to the other. They were both standing in The General Store, and the lady was getting tired of holding her burden. If she hadn't been waiting for Mr. Harvard to bring a new barrel of flour into the front room, she would have excused herself from Mrs. Bufford's company long ago.

"In any case," Rene carried on, "No one really knows who has been stealing the teacher's lunch, but it's obvious that someone has. Lunches don't just disappear you know. And I know Hazel Weed to be a very careful person. She isn't the sort of woman to go around misplacing things." Jane nodded her head absentmindedly and unscrewed the lid of a jar that held some licorice whips.

"My, doesn't Mr. Harvard have a nice selection?" she remarked, trying to change the subject. "I'm sure Elizabeth and Lucy will appreciate these. Have you ever known a child who doesn't like candy?" she laughed happily, taking two strands of licorice out and sealing the jar once more. Rene was just about to answer, but right then, the door swung open with a squeaking noise. The nosy woman's head turned, like a keen eyed eagle looking for prey. She always liked to know who came and went while she was in The General Store. She watched what they did, what they bought and listened to what they said. There wasn't a soul in the county who Mrs. Bufford didn't know everything about. But, today, her eyes widened behind her huge spectacles and then squinted curiously.

"Jane," she whispered, leaning close to her neighbor. "Look who just walked in. I don't believe we've ever seen him before, have we?" Jane glanced over her shoulder. Near the doorway, a tall young man stood. He was the same stranger who Emiline had watched at the train station, but this was the first time either of the lady's had noticed him. He looked unkempt, with a stubbly beard and his clothes were wrinkled and filthy. Jane ignored Mrs. Bufford's question and smiled at the man.

"Good morning," she greeted welcomingly. "Mr. Harvard will be out to help you in a moment. He's just bringing some flour from the back." The man nodded, but he didn't say a word in reply. Mrs. Bufford raised one eyebrow in displeasure.

"Rude and insolent if you ask me," she said in a hoarse whisper. "I don't like the look of him, Jane." For once Jane turned toward the lady with a scolding frown.

"Rene, he'll hear you!" she warned almost silently.

"I almost don't care if he does!" the woman said a little too loudly. "He should know that the likes of him isn't welcome here. This is a good respectable town."

To Jane's relief, Mr. Harvard came out of the back room in just a second. He sold her some flour, wrapped her goods up into another parcel and sent her off with a friendly goodbye. She walked outside quickly, but Rene followed her, determined to say one last thing. Stepping out into the warm sunshine, Jane shut the shop door behind her and hurried toward her buggy.

"Jane," Mrs. Bufford began frantically. "I know who did it!"

"Did what, Rene?" Mrs. Elmwood asked, turning around as she reached her horse.