Chapter 53

"Don't stare, Emma!" Susan whispered in a warning voice. "They'll see you!"

Emiline couldn't help herself. The two girls and Dorothy were heading to school, but on the way, they had seen something that filled their minds with questions. Mr. Gray was taking down the sign that stood in front of his shoe shop. Glancing through the open shop door, Emma caught sight of several large trunks. They were full of the beautiful shoes that the man had made. Susan hadn't been able to stop her eyes from noticing those things either. But all three of them kept their lips shut until they were sure they were out of hearing range. Then, Susan drew in a deep breath.

"So, they're leaving," she stated coldly. "I can't help but say good riddance." Dorothy turned her caring blue eyes up toward the girl.

"I feel sorry for Julian," she said quietly. "I wish that he was a nicer boy."

"We all wish that!" Susan agreed. But her reason for wishing was different than Dotty's. Dorothy wanted Julian to change for his own sake. Susan wanted him to change for the sake of the people he bothered. Meanwhile, Emma listened silently, keeping her own thoughts to herself. Peter had told her all about the things that had happened to him and Julian. Like Dotty, they were both learning to pity the naughty boy rather than hating him.

School began as usual, and the boredom of their lessons set in. But, in a few more minutes, the door opened quietly and all of the children looked back with startled gasps and hushed whispers. It had been a long time since anyone had seen Julian Gray. And now, the sight of him only brought grumbles and frowns. Even Miss Weed had to fight off a feeling of dislike as she saw the boy standing in the doorway. But, she forced herself to smile in a civil way. That morning, the boy had come in his family's buggy, and his father had walked with him to the door.

"Good morning Mr. Gray," the teacher said. As polite as she sounded, there was no warmth in her voice. "It's good to see you back in school, Julian. I hope you're feeling better." Julian glanced anxiously at his father, wishing that he could get back into the buggy and go home. But, his father only gave the teacher a respectful nod and then said.

"This will be his last day here, Miss Weed. Tomorrow we leave on the morning train." He didn't expect or wait for the teacher to express her disappointment. With a quiet goodbye, he left, and Julian inched his way into the building, looking abandoned and nervous. One of his arms hung in a sling, and there was a scar on his forehead that everyone noticed. As soon as the boy had shut the door, the other students looked away from him, whispering their final words of displeasure.

Julian tried to hold back some tears as he sat down at his desk, but against his will, one or two tumbled down from his eyes now and then. They splashed against his slate as he tried to concentrate on his lessons. That was harder than it had ever been. After weeks of recovering, he still wasn't well. He had suffered so much for so long, but the worst of his pain came when he saw how people hated him now.

When lunch came, everyone rose from their desks except for Julian. He stayed where he was, staring down at his desk in despair.

"Are you unwell, Julian?" Miss Weed asked. She really did care, but her voice didn't show that very well.

"No, Ma'am," the boy mumbled sadly.

"Then, why don't you go outside to eat your lunch? It's a pleasant day."

"I'd rather not," Julian answered dismally. There was something different about his voice today. He had always spoken very respectfully to the teacher, but he had also had a certain note of pride and deception in his tone. Now, there was only a hollow sound of brokenness and humility.