Chapter 27

Weeks passed by and Fall was beautiful in its brilliant colors. Emiline had enjoyed those weeks more than all the others. She had spent every Saturday listening to Anastasia's exciting stories about city life. But now, time was drawing on, and Anastasia was packing all of her gorgeous gowns back into her suitcases. Sadness crept over Emma's heart as she watched the young lady and Susan getting ready for their trip. It was going to be dull and miserable while Susan was gone. She wouldn't have anything to do on Saturday afternoons except to stay at home and listen to Grandma complain about her pains. Of course, that meant that she would be running a lot of errands too.

"Susan is going to have so much fun in the city!" she thought one day, scribbling on her slate at school without thinking about the math problem she was trying to solve. "She'll probably come home with all kinds of new dresses and shoes." She sighed in agony. "I guess I'll never know what it's like to be a city girl. I'll probably stay in this little town until I'm an old maid."

The clock in the schoolhouse struck twelve as Miss Weed sent all of the children out to have lunch.

Emma rose to her feet and started toward the door, but for once, Susan didn't hurry her outside. The girl was still sitting at her desk, trying to finish one last thing before she followed the crowd. Emiline left her with a heavy heart.

"I'll have to get used to it," she told herself. "Soon, she's going to be gone." She slumped down onto one of the steps outside and rested her chin in her palms. The other children started gobbling down their lunches, but Emma couldn't think of eating. She was just too heartbroken to have an appetite.

In a moment, the sound of heavy footsteps tromped down the stairs to Emiline's side.

"Emma, can I sit with you?" a voice said happily. Emiline looked up at Dorothy and nodded her head with as much of a smile as she could muster. Dotty's happy eyes became sad with concern.

"What's wrong, Emma?" she asked caringly. She sat down by her friend and took the girl's hand.

"Oh, Susan's going to leave in a few days," Emiline answered gloomily. "She's going all the way to the seaside with her cousin, and I'm going to be all alone." Dorothy smiled sweetly.

"No you aren't," she said. "I'll be with you." Emma looked over at Dotty in surprise.

"Oh...yes, that's right," she answered. She smiled a little bit brighter and gave Dorothy a hug. But inside, she still felt sad. There was also a strange feeling in her heart now; a feeling that she didn't like. Somehow, the thought of having Dotty's company didn't sound like much fun to her. She had been soaking in each elegant detail of Susan and Anna's extravagance for days. Dorothy wasn't exciting or rich like they were. Even though Emma loved the little girl, she was afraid she would be terribly bored spending the weekends with her.

Suddenly, Susan hurried outside and pulled Emiline to her feet.

"Emiline, come with me," she said. Her voice almost sounded desperate. Emma and Dotty looked at her questioningly.

"Where are you two going?" Dorothy asked curiously. Susan almost didn't want to take the time to answer, but she didn't want to be rude.

"Oh, hello Dotty!" she said hastily. "I'm sorry we can't stay to have lunch with you, but we really must speak about something. Goodbye!" Without another minute's pause, Susan hustled Emiline away from the crowd of children.

"What's wrong, Susan?" Emma asked, panting as she raced to keep up with her friend.

"Emiline, you have to promise me something," Susan stated in a dramatic voice.