Chapter 37

Simon crawled out of bed with a grumpy moan. It was late. The sun was already up.

"Great," he growled inside. "I'm gonna be late again! And the boys are gonna tease me about it! They've probably been up for hours. They're probably already on their way to..." His thoughts halted as his sleepy eyes came into focus. Benjamin almost always woke up before him, but today he was still tucked into bed, lying very still and quiet. For a moment, Simon stared in shock and amazement. Then, a smirk slid over his face.

"Ha!" he thought smugly. "Finally I'm up before the kid!" With a mischievous glint in his eyes, the boy snuck closer to his brother's bed. He got ready to pounce and wake the boy up, but suddenly he stopped himself. "No," he decided. "I'll just wait and see how long it takes him to get up on his own. Then he'll really be late and I can tease him even more!" With sneaking footsteps, he got dressed and walked out of the room.

Downstairs, breakfast was getting cold. Simon ran to the table and scarfed down the food that was waiting for him. He really didn't have much time. As he shoveled the last bite of eggs into his mouth, Peter hurried through the front door and grabbed his schoolbooks.

"Late again, Simon?" he laughed. "You and Benjamin had better get started unless you want to clean the chalkboard again." Simon glared, but there was a small shine of victory in his eyes.

"I'm not as late as Benjamin is!" he snickered. "The kid isn't even up yet!" Peter frowned curiously.

"He isn't?" the boy asked.

"No, he's being lazy!" Simon answered, hurrying to the foyer and pulling on his shoes. Then, he ran to the foot of the stairs. "Benjamin! Stop dawdling! We're gonna be late for school again! It'll be all your fault!" No answer came, but Martha looked out from the kitchen with one eyebrow raised.

"Simon, don't yell like that," she commanded. "Would you want to be woken up that way? Now, go upstairs and help Benjamin get ready. You're as late as he is, Young Man!" Simon ran up the stairs quickly. Peter hesitated. He was going to be late too if he didn't leave soon, but he couldn't understand why Benjamin was still in bed. Sometimes the boy had been a dawdler, but he always woke up early. Too curious to leave, Peter dropped his books and followed his brother.

In half a moment, Simon had barged into the boys' bedroom, making as much noise as he could.

"Ha ha, Benjamin! I got up before you!" he sneered.

Benjamin only sniffled and burrowed deeper into his blankets. "Come on!" Simon urged in frustration. "If you don't hurry I'm gonna leave without you! I don't wanna be late again!" Benjamin let out a whimper.

"I don't wanna go," he sniffled. From the doorway, Peter watched and listened. This wasn't like Benjamin at all. He had always liked going to school.

"Benjamin, stop wasting time," Peter ordered. "If you hurry, we can all ride the horse and we'll be there in no time! Come on, get out of bed!" Simon tried to throw the covers off of the boy, but Benjamin clung to them tightly. Finally Simon used the last tool he had; the one that never failed.

"Ma, Benjamin won't get out of bed!" he yelled at the top of his lungs. Martha had already been listening to the boys' voices in growing concern. In just a few minutes, she had walked into the room and her loving presence softened Simon's irritation.

"Benjamin," she said softly. "Why are you so sleepy, little man? Are you alright?" she unburied her hiding son's face and he looked up at her with big, pouty eyes.

"I don't wanna go to school, Ma," he whimpered. "I...don't feel well."

Peter couldn't wait any longer. He raced outside in a flash and headed for school. Confusion was still swirling around in his mind. Could his brother really be sick? He was usually such a healthy boy.