Chapter 24

"Stop dawdlin', Benjamin!" Simon demanded. "We're gonna be late for school!" He let out a frustrated moan as he sat at the kitchen table, waiting for his brother to come down from the bedroom. "Ma, can't Benjamin walk by himself?" he whined. "He always makes me late and then I get in trouble for it." Martha looked at him with a gentle but scolding expression in her eyes.

"No, he can't walk alone," she answered quietly. "That wouldn't be fair, now would it?"

"Then why can't Peter walk with him? Why do I always get stuck with the kid?" His mother was about the say something, but right then, Benjamin trotted down the stairs and dashed to the front door.

"I'm ready Simon!" he said in a hurry. He grabbed his jacket as fast as he could and ran outside with a hasty good bye. Simon gave his mother a hug and then rushed to catch up.

Near the barn, Peter had just climbed onto his horse and was about to take off. He was running a little bit late too, but it didn't matter that much. Storm could get him to school in no time at all.

"What took you boys so long?" he asked, making his horse walk beside his brothers.

"You should've started walking half an hour ago!" Simon glared up at him moodily.

"It was Benjamin's fault," he grumbled. "Besides, you'd be late too if you didn't have a horse to ride. Why can't I ride the horse sometimes?"

"Because, he's too wild," Peter explained. "Storm doesn't let anyone ride him but me. He'd buck you off into the creek." Simon didn't look convinced. "Tell you what," Peter began, "I'll let you climb up and we'll all ride to school. Then you won't have to walk." He pulled Storm to a halt and reached a helpful hand down to his brothers, but Simon frowned with pride.

"I don't wanna ride behind you," Simon said. "I'm good at ridin' horses. I want to do it all by myself!"

"Then you can walk," Peter stated, glaring at his feisty brother in frustration. "How about you, Benjamin?" he asked. Benjamin eyed the horse cautiously. As usual, Storm was impatient and flighty. He never stood completely still and his ears twitched around in a way that made everyone feel nervous. Finally, the boy made up his mind and smiled.

"That's alright, Peter," he said. "I'll walk."

With that settled, Peter gave Storm a meaningful tap with his heals and the big horse gave a lunge forward and started galloping. When he reached the schoolhouse, the other children were already inside finding their seats.

With rushing hands, he tied Storm's reins to a fence post and raced up the stairs. After that, everything was common. The children began their lessons and the classroom became still and quiet.

After a long time of studying, Peter's diligent mind began to wander away from his lessons.

"Those boys should be gettin' here soon," he thought silently. Twenty minutes passed by; then ten more made the clock's hands move. He glanced out of the window with a frown, but it was a long time before his brothers finally crept into the schoolhouse. Miss Weed looked up at them with stern eyes.

"Simon, Benjamin, why are you two so late?" she asked.

"It was Benjamin's fault!" Simon cried in self defense. "He...he..." Benjamin cowered and looked up at his brother with pleading eyes. Simon stopped himself and let out an angry sigh. "Anyhow, it was his fault," he grumbled.

"Well, whether it was his fault or your fault, both of you are late," the teacher responded. "Unless you have a very good reason, you're both in trouble. This isn't the first time you've been tardy. You two are dawdlers and everyone else can see that. Do you know what will happen if you keep practicing laziness?" Miss Weed talked on and on for a few minutes. Everything she said was right. If the boys kept dragging their feet, they would never be able to run a farm, raise a family or hold down a job. But, that morning, the boys hadn't meant to dawdle. Something had happened on the way to school and neither one of them wanted to admit it. The teacher's voice sounded decided, like the voice of a judge, as she finished her speech. The boys would have to stay at school longer than anyone else and they would have to clean the chalkboard. Peter tried not to smirk as he saw Simon slump down into his seat.