Chapter 44

Susan's smile gleamed brilliantly. She had woken up earlier than anyone else, and the whole day seemed bright and cheerful to her. With a glow of excitement in her heart, she shut her last suitcase and packed it downstairs. She felt proud of herself. It would have been easy to call one of her uncle's hired servants to carry the luggage, but she wanted to do it all by herself. After all, she was a country girl, and country girls were very capable.

As soon as she thought it was late enough, she marched up to Emiline's bedroom to wake her. Softly, she opened the door and peeked in. She had felt very sorry for her friend for a few days. Emma still had a cold, and she had been trapped like a prisoner in her own room. But, she found the girl already awake, with the Bible open on her knees. Susan's cheeks turned rosy with joy.

"Emma, the train will be in the station by eleven this morning!" she exclaimed, hurrying in. Then, shutting the door behind her and lowering her voice to a whisper she added. "I can't wait to go home, can you?" Emiline muffled a sneeze in her handkerchief and looked at her friend with a smile.

"No, I can't," she answered in a stuffy sounding voice. Then, still a little bit baffled by Susan's dislike for the city, she asked, "why don't you like it here anymore, Susan?" Her friend bit her nail and glanced around nervously.

"Oh, I suppose it's because..." The sound of footsteps coming up the stairs made her stop. "I'll tell you later, Emma," she said hastily. "But, for now, let's get you ready to leave."

In a couple of seconds, Anastasia knocked and entered the room with a gentle smile.

"So at last I must part with you two," she said dramatically. "Believe me, your company will be missed. But, I'm sure you'll be much more comfortable recovering at home, won't you, Emiline?" She gave a pitying laugh and Emma blushed. She didn't want to tell Anna just how true that was. "Well, you'll be leaving for the train station within two hours. I suppose I had better ask one of the maids to help you pack." Susan shook her head.

"Oh no, don't do that, Anna," she said quickly. "I'd rather pack her bags myself." Anastasia looked surprised, but with a soft laugh she agreed and then left the room. She didn't volunteer to help the girls get ready for their trip, mostly because she was too afraid of catching Emma's miserable cold. Today, that suited both Emiline and Susan just fine. They chatted and giggled as they got ready to leave, forgetting all dignity and city manners as they worked.

Despite her cold, Emma felt delighted as she got dressed that morning. She put her Sunday dress on and wore it happily, knowing that it was decent and lovely in its own, country way. Then, she caught sight of the sapphire dress that Anastasia had bought for her.

"What do I do with this, Susan?" she asked, touching the beautiful fabric. "Should I put it in Anna's room?"

"Of course not!" Susan laughed. "It was a gift, Emma. Put it in the suitcase and keep it." Emiline sighed.

"But...Susan..." she began, "I can't wear this dress. It isn't that I don't like it. It is beautiful. But, I'm afraid that Jesus wouldn't want me to wear something like this. It isn't very decent." Susan looked at her with understanding.

"I know," she said in a very quiet whisper. "I didn't want to say anything about it. I used to wear dresses like that, even though Mother never approved of them. But, I can't do it anymore. I know Anna wanted me to. But, every time I thought about it, I knew that it wouldn't be right." Her face became very serious as she continued. "The Bible says to do everything as unto the Lord. I don't think I've always done that very well, but I want to, and I can't see a dress like that honoring God." Emma was glad to hear her friend say those things. In the end, the girls decided to pack the sapphire gown anyways, planning to remake it as soon as they got home.