Chapter 36

Emiline sat as straight as she could. She wrung her hands self consciously, trying to remember all of the things her mother had taught her about good manners. Her eyes looked over at Susan, watching every move the girl made.

It was supper time and the candle light was bright and elegant in the huge dining room. As warm as that glow seemed, there was something cold about the whole evening. Mealtimes weren't the same in the city as they were in the country. At home, Emma had always loved to sit down at the table with her mother and father, listening to what they had to say and sharing her stories about the day with them. They always had so much fun, laughing about things that were funny and talking about their hopes and dreams. In Anastasia's house, laughter was very quiet and controlled. Even Susan, who had always seemed cheerful, behaved with a ladylike grace that almost seemed dismal. Sometimes, Emiline caught her sighing and looking out of the window wistfully. She was wishing to get out of the dignified house and take a walk in the woods back home.

Emma's stomach growled with hunger. It seemed awfully late to be eating dinner.

Already, the sun was starting to hang low in the sky. Anastasia and her family chatted quietly as the moments ticked by. Emiline started feeling impatient.

"Why doesn't someone bring the food?" she wondered. "What could they be doing in the kitchen all of this time?" She glanced around worriedly. "What if something happened!" she fretted. "What if the servants spilled the soup, or burnt the roast or something! Then we might have to wait until night time to eat. Or worse! What if dinner isn't served at all!" She stopped her dramatic thoughts and tried to distract herself. She heard Anna's pretty voice speaking in an excited but very soft tone.

"We saw an advertisement in town for a play!" she explained to her parents. "Wouldn't it be delightful to go? They will be performing A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens!" Emma almost forgot her hunger as joy flooded her heart. As much as she enjoyed books, she knew that she would love a play. Anastasia's mother smiled and nodded her head pleasantly.

"It sounds very enjoyable," she answered. Then, with a little apprehension she asked. "But, isn't A Christmas Carol a bit too...serious for the children?" Emiline's eyes dropped down to the table, her heart welling up with a little feeling of offense.

"Children?" she repeated to herself. The word had a distasteful sound. Anastasia gave one of her politest laughs.

"You mean young ladies, don't you, Mother?" she said in gentle correction. "Emiline and Susan are quite mature. Nothing could be too serious for them. They'll be thrilled, I'm sure!" Emma nodded. Anna's words gave her a surge of pride.

At last, a few maids and servants came in, carrying platters of food and a huge tureen of soup. Emma smiled eagerly.

"Finally!" she giggled inside.

A delicious steam rose into the air as the soup was poured into Emiline's empty, china dish. Her eyes gleamed like a starved creature as the rich broth rippled with the last drop of soup. She had waited for hours for this. Suddenly, all of the city manners flew away from her.

"Oh thank you! I'm so hungry!" she exclaimed. She grabbed her spoon with a clattering noise and plunged it into the soup. She lifted it half way to her mouth, but before she could even taste it, she found that all of her friends were staring at her and that the maid was looking appalled.

"Did I do something wrong," she asked with a cringe. Susan muffled a delighted snicker in her napkin. She wanted to laugh louder. She wanted to tell her friend how much joy Emma's country manners gave her. But, she couldn't. It wouldn't be polite.