Chapter 35

Dorothy's heart was aglow with joy. She had always dreamed of being able to help someone in need, and now at last she had her chance. She looked up at the young man beside her. What kind of person was he? He had been so quiet that she couldn't even guess. But as a shy and quiet person herself, she couldn't blame him. The best thing that really made Dotty happy, was that she had just picked some carrots from her tiny garden, and she was planning on making a delicious stew.

The carrots were one of the only plants in her garden that had done well. The rest of the peas, greens and string beans had been a favorite snack of the deer, and they were long gone now. She had done everything possible to keep the deer away, but nothing had worked. They had jumped over the broken fence and enjoyed her beautiful produce. The best her father could do now was to plan for the next year. He had a pile of new lumber lying on the ground by the fence, but his back ached terribly, and he hadn't begun the job yet.

As soon as the buggy pulled up to Dorothy's shabby, little home, she jumped out and got to work. Like the lady of the house, she cleaned her kitchen, chopped her vegetables and started her stew simmering. She threw a pot of turnips on the stove too, but those yellow vegetables which had fed them all winter were beginning to run out. She couldn't help smiling in relief as she saw the turnips vanishing. She had been very thankful for them, but this winter, she would have potatoes and carrots in their place.

Ed was just as busy as his daughter was. He gave his guest a pair of dry clothes to change into and then got to work on his own business. Every day, he sat in the only comfortable chair they had, fixing broken things that people brought him. Once he had been a very strong carpenter, but now this was the best job he could do.

Every now and then, Mr. Perkins would ask his guest a question, or tell him something about himself. The young man always received his words politely. Sometimes he would mutter an answer, but he was so quiet that Ed finally gave up trying to understand him. Mr. Perkins wasn't without a wise amount of suspicion. He didn't believe false tales or make them up himself, but he watched the stranger with due caution. One thing was certain, the young man didn't do anything to cause alarm. He sat silently on the cold hearth, looking content, patient and pleased. He seemed happy to stay silent, enjoying his own thoughts and keeping everything about himself a secret.

By evening, Dorothy had made the simplest but heartiest stew possible. She set the table with a few chipped dishes and then stepped back with a satisfied smile. It was nothing compared to the extravagant dining room which Emiline was sitting in that evening, but it looked homey and inviting and that was all that mattered.

Shyly, she walked into the front room. She put her hands behind her back in a nervous way and smiled with rosy cheeks.

"The stew's done," she said quietly. Her father and guest rose eagerly. The girl had never seen anyone eat as quickly or as much as the strange, young man. It made her feel good to see him enjoy her food. There was no telling when he had eaten a hearty meal last.

"I wonder why he doesn't have a home," she thought. "Doesn't he have a family?" A new thought brought her a gentle smile. "I hope he's a Christian," she continued. "If he loves Jesus, then he has an everlasting home in Heaven, and that would make us and all of the angles his family."

Her eyes gazed at him thoughtfully, but suddenly, his dark eyes met hers and he smiled. Dorothy's cheeks warmed up with an embarrassed blush.

She was almost as quiet as he was that evening. Mr. Perkins did all of the talking, and then, as night began to fall, he read the Bible aloud to them. The stranger listened intently, staring out at nothing at all, but with a look of pure enjoyment on his face. Now and then, that shining smile would lighten his countenance. Mr. Perkin's read until Dorothy fell asleep, sitting on his lap with her head on his shoulder. Quietly he shut the Bible and turned to his guest.