Chapter 29

Emiline, you're running late!" Mother's voice had a warning note in it. Time kept ticking on and on. Soon school would start. But Emma had been too busy to get ready for school that morning. Tomorrow she had to be ready to leave and she still hadn't decided what she would wear. Finally, she snapped her last suitcase shut and ran out of the room.

As rushed as Emma was, she was floating on a cloud of delight. She still couldn't believe that she was really going to the city. What would she see there? What would she do there?

"Oh, I can't wait for tomorrow!" she cried in excitement.

The road to the schoolhouse was lonely that morning. Susan had left long before, and there was no one to talk to. But, Emiline didn't mind. Her head was full of imaginations and joyful thoughts. As she walked, she looked around at the trees and the blushing leaves. They were pretty, but she wouldn't miss them. She was about to see things that were beyond her wildest dreams.

Turning a corner in the road and heading straight for the schoolhouse, Emiline's thoughts were

interrupted by a loud, little voice.

"Pal! Come back here! I don't want you gettin' lost!" it called. Emma smiled. Benjamin had taken his puppy to school for several days now and Pal was always the center of attention at lunch time. As long as the dog stayed outside, Miss Weed didn't seem to mind. No one could help liking Benjamin and his puppy. They were a harmless and pleasant pair.

"Good morning, Benjamin!" Emiline greeted. She caught up with the little boy in a moment and slowed her pace slightly to match his. Benjamin smiled up at her and gave her a friendly hello. He didn't look like he was in a hurry to get to school. He had his hands in his pockets and he was skipping along in a happy way. "You had better hurry if you want to get to school on time," Emma urged kindly. "We're both running kind of late, aren't we?" She looked around curiously as she spoke, searching for Simon or Peter. "Are you all alone?" she asked at last.

"Yep!" Benjamin answered. "Well...kinda... Simon was walkin' with me, but he went on ahead." He lowered his voice and sounded almost frustrated as he added, "He says I'm a slowpoke." Emiline laughed.

"Oh, I see. Well, I'll see you soon, Benjamin. Don't take too long or Miss Weed will make you clean the chalkboard again!"

Emma went on her way as fast as she could. When she reached the schoolhouse, she saw Peter sweeping the porch with an angry and humiliated look on his face. Mrs. Weed was still punishing him for getting into a fight. Emiline felt a little bit sorry for him.

"Are you almost done, Peter?" she asked sympathetically. The boy looked up at her with the same grumpy expression.

"No, I'm not almost done." he answered gruffly. "I would have been if Julian hadn't skipped work today."

"You mean, he hasn't been helping you!" Emiline exclaimed. Peter shook his head.

"He's been dawdling about his jobs for days," he grumbled. "Today, he didn't even come. But, at least next week all of this extra work will be over."

School was just beginning, so the two hurried into the building and sat down to begin their lessons. Everything was dull and normal in the schoolhouse. Emma did her best to focus on her lessons, even though all she wanted to do was dream about her trip. Why couldn't this long day end so tomorrow could whisk her away to the seaside?

Across the room, someone cleared their throat loudly. Emma thought nothing of it. She scribbled a math problem down on her slate and tried to think. Then the sound came again. Curiosity drew her mind away from her lesson. Her eyes glanced over at a desk by the wall. There, she saw Simon looking uneasy. What was he doing? Emiline forgot all about her math as she watched him. He tapped his finger against his desk, then, he tore off a small piece of paper and wadded it up into a tight ball.