Chapter 30

The cool morning breeze threw Emma's hair around as she stood in the twilight. She shivered, but even though the wind was chilly, her heart felt warm with cheer.

"Oh, Mother, this will be so much fun!" she giggled, feeling happy enough to dance. "I can't wait! When is the train supposed to come?" Mother wrapped her warm arms around the girl and held her close.

"In about ten minutes," she answered, squeezing her daughter. "I'm going to miss you, My Dear," she whispered.

"I'll miss you too!" Emiline answered. She said the words without really feeling them. She loved her parents and she liked to be with them, but today she was too excited to think about anything sad. Lizzy clung to her sister's waist and hugged her a little bit too tightly.

"I want to go with you, Emma!" Elizabeth said in a pouty voice. Emiline gave a crooked smile and patted her on the head.

"I know," she answered. "But, you can't. You don't have a ticket, Lizzy." The girl's father picked Elizabeth up and smiled.

"You get to stay with me, Sweetie!" he said cheerfully. He gave Emma the same loving smile and drew her closer with his free arm.

"I love you, Emiline," he said. "Be a good girl, alright." Emma agreed, enjoying her father's hug. Then she looked back and saw her grandmother standing a little bit behind them. Grandma Adler had looked glum and disapproving all morning long. But, there was nothing she could do to change her family's mind.

"Emma, Dear," she began at last. "I brought something that I think you probably forgot to pack," she said. Emiline looked at her curiously.

"Something I forgot?" she thought in confusion. She had been so diligent. She couldn't think of anything she had missed. In a moment, the old woman dug into a little bag she was carrying and pulled out a small book.

"Oh!" Emma exclaimed. "My Bible!" She smiled gratefully and took it. "It's the one you gave me, isn't it Grandma?"

"Yes, Deary," the lady answered. "Promise me one thing, Emiline. While you're away in the city, don't let yourself forget Jesus. He is your best friend, and the only one you have to keep you safe and sound. Read your Bible every day and pray before your go to bed." That sounded like good advice to Emma. She liked to read her Bible and she loved Jesus.

"Alright Grandma, I will," she answered happily. She threw her arms around the frail woman and gave Grandma Adler a kiss. Today, even the lady's sternness couldn't make her unhappy. The only thing that started irritating Emiline, was how long it took for the train to get to the station.

"It should be here soon," she thought impatiently. "What's taking them so long?" A little ways away, Anastasia was looking just as impatient, but Susan was looking back at the woods with a fond smile. She still didn't want to leave, but since Emiline was coming along, she seemed happy about the trip.

Emma started fidgeting with the buttons on her dress, waiting and waiting for the train to arrive. Finally, she looked out into the distance where the train tracks disappeared from her sight. There was a tiny object, far, far away. No, there were two objects. They both looked just as small, but one was much closer than the other.

"There's the train!" she thought excitedly. But what was the other thing she could see? Cocking her head sideways, she watched it as it came closer and closer. Soon, she could make out it's form. It was a tall man walking beside the railroad. "A tramp?" she gasped. "I didn't think we really had tramps around here!" She stared at him with a feeling of fear mingled with curiosity. As he came nearer, she began to see that he was a handsome young man. His clothes were dusty and shabby, as if he had been walking in them for days on end. "I wonder who he is," she thought. She didn't understand why a man like him would roam around without a purpose.