Chapter 46

It was early morning. The room was full of twilight, and there was a deep quiet in the house. Benjamin peeked out from beneath his covers and glanced around the room. Peter was already awake down stairs, but Simon and Otho were snoring happily. Benjamin lay still, staring out into the dim room as he turned some thoughts over in his mind. It had been several days since he had met Dorothy in her play house. Ever since then, he had been tossed between hope and fear. He had to tell someone about the crime he had done. With each passing day, his guilt only grew. But it was so hard to gather the courage to confess. What would happen when he told his mother and father what he had done?

Trying to be very brave, the boy finally climbed out of bed and got dressed. Then, as quiet as a mouse, he slipped out of the room and tip toed down stairs. Once Benjamin reached the living room, he crept forward and peeked through the kitchen doorway. His father was reading the Bible aloud, Martha was busy cooking breakfast, and Peter was staring sleepily into a steaming cup of coffee. Benjamin hesitated. He still wasn't sure if he could go through with his plan. He felt like he was sleep walking in a bad dream.

But this was the only way out. As he stood watching his family, his silent presence caught his father's attention.

"Good morning, Benjamin," the man greeted with a smile. "You're up bright and early." the little boy tried to smile back, but it was a weak, pitiful smile. Amos' face softened with concern.

"What's wrong, Lad? You've been awfully sad about somethin' lately." The boy inched his way closer, with tears starting to make puddles in his eyes.

"I did somethin' bad, Pa," he said sadly. "I'm sorry! I didn't wanna do it." Amos lifted his son and set him down on his lap in a way that made Benjamin feel more at ease.

"And what was it you did, Lad?" the man asked. It took Benjamin a long time to tell his story. But, in between sobs and apologies he finally got to the point. "I wanted to tell you," he sniffled as he ended his tale. "But I didn't want Pal to get hurt!"

"I see," Amos said. For a moment, he turned the boy's words over in his mind. "Benjamin," he began at last, "I know you didn't want to steal. And I know you were scared. But there's somethin' you've got to understand. When it comes to doin' right and wrong, we always have to chose to do right. Even when someone is trying to scare you into doin' somethin' bad, you have to stand your ground and do good instead."

"But, what about Pal?" the boy asked. "I didn't want Julian to throw him in the creek!"

"I know. That's when you should have come and told me and your mother all about it. You can always come to us when you're in trouble. We're here to look after you and protect you. But if you keep secrets from us, there's nothin' we can do. I could have put an end to Julian's mischief a long time ago. But I didn't know anything about it. Next time you're in trouble, don't keep it to yourself, Lad." Benjamin nodded his head obediently. Amos smiled.

"Now, don't you worry, Benjamin," he said. "It'll be just fine. We'll tell your teacher together and set everything right again." The boy smiled up at his father in relief and then hugged him tightly.

All that time, Peter had sat listening silently. His anger wanted to turn into wrath as he thought about what Julian had done to his brother. But before it could, he stopped himself and thought back on the things he had been learning about mercy and meekness. Right now, all he wanted to do was teach Julian a lesson; one that the boy would never forget. But that wasn't the right way to be. He remembered a verse from Matthew chapter five and felt himself winning the battle in his heart.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?...Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.