Chapter 13

The grass blew in the wind like a wide, green ocean and the wind felt warm and sweet. It was the best Friday evening of the year because it was the very last day of school. Now that winter's frost had disappeared, the farmers were busy with their gardens and that always meant school had to come to an end. Farmers needed their children to help them plant and tend to their produce. For the rest of the spring and summer, the children would be free from all of their lessons.

Susan wasn't in a hurry to get home that day. She was freer than any of the other children. She didn't have a garden to plant or chores to do. Summer's break gave her time to do anything her heart desired. That day, she hadn't rushed down the road toward her home. Instead, she had led Emiline out into the field to pick wild flowers. She had nothing but time to waste, and yet she had still left Dorothy behind.

"Don't you love flowers?" Emma said dreamily. She held her bouquet close to her heart and felt the wind playing with her long hair. It made her feel just like a medieval maiden, and she could imagine that she was picking those posies for a princess to hold.

"Oh yes," Susan agreed. "My father always used to buy me flowers when we went to town together. There was a lady in our city who sold roses on the street corner."

"What a wonderful job," Emma exclaimed, "picking and selling flowers for money. That would be nicer than scrubbing floors or cleaning barns." She paused and gave a joyless laugh. "It would be better than having to run errands for Grandma too."

Emiline had told Susan all about her grandmother and how demanding the old lady was. Every time Emma turned around, Grandma Adler seemed to need something. The girl couldn't understand why her grandmother couldn't do things for herself.

"Well, I suppose selling roses wouldn't be a bad job," Susan said thoughtfully. "But I think picking flowers is nicer when you can do it just for fun. Besides, wild flowers are prettier than the roses which the lady sold."

"Yes, I suppose so," Emiline answered. She did like the flowers that grew in those fields. But she had to wonder whether a city full of chocolate shops and ladies who sold roses wouldn't be better. Oh, the city; it seemed like a place of wonders and endless delight to Emiline. If only she could go to the city.

The sun felt almost hot as it surrounded the girls, but soon they had reached the shady pine trees and were walking through the woods.

"I would be happy if I could stay out here forever," Susan said. She looked up into the sapphire sky and saw the golden sunlight falling through the pine needles. "Couldn't we stay all evening, Emiline?"

"I wish," Emma answered. "But," she sighed, "Mother will need me home soon. I have to help her fix supper."

Susan looked disappointed. "But if you do housework all of the time, when will you ever have any fun? Surely there's more to life than chores, isn't there?"

Emiline hesitated. She wanted to agree with her friend. But on the other hand, she knew that there was something naughty about Susan's attitude. If she didn't do her chores, then her mother would have to work extra hard to get everything done. Mother already cooked and cleaned all day long. It wouldn't be fair not to help her. But she had to admit that she didn't like work.

In a moment, Susan's face lit up with joy. "I know what we'll do," she said suddenly. "We'll come out tomorrow and have a special picnic in the woods! I can bring some chocolates, and Olive can make us some chicken salad sandwiches!"

Emiline's eyes widened with hunger and delight. "That sounds wonderful!" she exclaimed. "And we could read poems too!" The girls walked a little bit faster as they made their plans. The picnic sounded like so much fun.