Chapter 45

The bell chimed on the shop's door as Martha pushed it open. Peter followed behind her. Usually the woman went shopping all alone, but today, she had a long list of things she needed and she had brought her strong son to help her carry them all to the buggy. Inside Mr. Harvard looked up and smiled at his customer.

"Mornin' Mrs. McDougal," he said with a nod. "What can I do for you today?"

"Almost everything, Mr. Harvard," the woman laughed good-naturedly. "I've almost run out of sugar, and the flour's getting low. But I'm just sure I'll forget something unless I look at my list!" She shifted baby Clara from one arm to the other, trying to search through her pockets. Finally, she turned to Peter with a soft smile and gave him charge over his sister.

Peter wandered through the store, trying to be patient. He had never liked having to wait for his mother to shop, and right now, he wished that he could be up in the woods helping Shawn. They had found all kinds of treasures in the cellar. There were a few old photos, some beautiful pieces of china and trunks full of other odds and ends.

Shawn had stowed most of them into the tool shed where he was sure they would stay safe. Now, everything was looking ready for the serious building that Shawn had planned. The man had even found the old, overgrown road which had once led up to the house and had cleared the saplings and brush away from it. All they had to do now was pick up their hammers and get to work.

Martha was in the middle of her list when the shop door opened with another musical ring. Once again, Mr. Harvard looked up with a welcoming smile.

"Be with you in a moment, Mrs. Bufford!" he said kindly.

"No hurry," the old woman said carelessly. She was never in a hurry when she came to The General Store. Usually she came just to eves drop on other people's conversations and share gossiping words.

"Oh, Mr. Harvard," the woman began after a moment, "I saw that stranger come into your store this morning. Not that I was really watching," she added with a laugh. "But, did I see him come out with a saw and a hatchet?" Peter rolled his eyes at her prying words.

"Well," Mr. Harvard began, "I don't know that I remember. But that's probably what I sold him. He's been after a whole lot of tools lately. People say he's buildin' a house up in the woods."

"A house!" Mrs. Bufford exclaimed. "What would a tramp like him want with a house?

Are you sure that's really what he's building?"

Mr. Harvard laughed.

"I guess I wouldn't know," he answered. "But, it seems real possible. I heard a man say he saw the man cuttin' a trail up to the Alden's property. Who knows, maybe that's where he's been stayin' all this time."

"The Aldens!" the woman repeated. "You mean poor William's house? Why, what right does a man like him have to build there? It's private property!"

"None of my business," Mr. Harvard replied with a shrug. By that time, Martha had taken her baby back and had put Peter to work hauling some of her goods to the buggy. The boy worked with extra vigor as he listened to Mrs. Bufford building new rumors about his friend.

"You know what I think?" she said. "I think he's building something more sinister than a house. What if he's one of those lunatics who go around killing right and left? What if he's making coffins up there?" Mr Harvard gave an uneasy shudder at the thought.

"Now, now," he said, "Let's not think the worst." But he was already beginning to think the worst. The man set a bag of sugar onto the counter and then paused with a thoughtful look on his face. "Funny that the man never speaks," he mused.