e i g h t

February 5th 2017
Avengers Compound

Steve spent the rest of the previous day feeling completely tense. Even more tense than usual.

He spent the entire night pacing his bedroom, unable to sleep.

"You're acting so weird."

Steve was pacing. Again. This time in Buckys bedroom.

"I'm not acting weird."

Steve and Bucky were normally very closed off people, but around each other they acted like teenagers.

They both missed out on huge chunks of their lives, between both the war and the whole super soldier thing, so as soon as Bucky began to get better, mentally, they began to fall back into the friendship from the 40s which they cherished so much.

"You are acting weird." Bucky pushed, throwing the book he was reading onto the sofa next to him.

"What're you reading?" Steve asked, eyeing up the book next to Bucky.

"Ads gave it to me— Wait stop changing the subject."

"What subject?" He questioned, pretending not to know what he was talking about.

"The subject about you being tense."

"I'm not tense." He glared at Bucky.

"If you say so—"

"I keep thinking about her." Steve suddenly blurted out. His facial expressions showing that he instantly regretted it as soon as it slipped out.

"I know you do." Bucky said, picking his book back up.

"How do you know?"

"I dunno, I just do." He said, flipping the page of his book.

Time passed. Steve kept pacing the room, and Bucky just kept reading. Bucky would tell Steve wanted to say something, but he knew Steve well enough to know that he needed to find the right words, and that he didn't need to push for him to open up he would do it on his own eventually.

"Am I a pervert?"

There it was. Steve was opening up.

In his own, dysfunctional way.

"Excuse me?" Bucky couldn't help but laugh.

"I dreamt about her."

He didn't even have to explain who her was. Bucky also knew him well enough to know the answer to that.

"That's cute." Bucky went back to his book.

"No it wasn't a cute dream. It was the other one."

"Oh..." Buckys eyes widened. This was a side to Steve he didn't see very often, "That kind of dream, huh?"

"Yes. That kind of dream." Steve winced at the words coming out of his own mouth, "So does that make me perverted."

"Uh no I don't think so."

"Don't think so? What do you mean?" Steve panicked, his pacing was becoming a fast walk around Buckys room.

"Slow down, punk. You're gonna wear out my carpet."

"I don't care about your carpet."

"Let me guess, you only care about her?" He teased.

"What?" Steve stopped pacing so he could glare at Bucky, then continued again, "I don't care about her. I'm not even the one that wanted her here. Tony wanted her here. I wanted her locked up. She's dangerous."