t w e n t y e i g h t

April 16th 2017
Avengers Compound Grounds

Steve had surprised her with a picnic. A large blanket spread across a private area of the compound grounds, and an old fashioned picnic basket full of treats for them to eat.

It reminded him of the 40s. Picnics, diners and going to the movie theatre were classic dates Steve knew about during the 40s, and while he couldn't show Ember more of what his life used to be like since she couldn't leave the premises, he could at least show her this tiny snippet.

Of course, Ember had made fun of him as soon as she realised just how romantic Steve had actually been, and while Steve didn't set any of this up himself, he was still the one who came up with the whole idea, hanging up the fairy lights was also his idea. But he was far too clumsy to do it himself.

"You know what I should do?" Ember asked while she sat against Steve's chest, while Steve sat with his back against a large, old oak tree.

Steve had picked this area of the grounds for their date, considering the trees gave them at least some amount of privacy, and Steve didn't know of anyone who ran out this way while training, so he assumed they were safe for now.

"What should you do?" Steve laughed.

"I watched this movie, right. I had never heard of it before—"

"You've probably never heard of it because you have even less pop culture knowledge than I do. And you're not the one that's 100 years old."

"Not the point. Anyways. This movie had like this evil dude, right? And he had all of these yellow people who were his friends? Cause he didn't have any friends? And he just hung out with these alien dudes who liked bananas. Anyways. He had this gun thing, and it turned shit into ice. Like how cool is that? The guy in the movie turned people into ice. Like I could totally do that. I could turn people into popsicles."

Steve laughed, Embers heart fluttered as she felt his chest moved as her back was pressed against it.

"I don't think Tony would appreciate that idea."

"He wouldn't have to know. I'd freeze him first."

"It's the way that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that worries me the most."

"I think having a freeze ray would be a good counter power to my fire." She said, throwing a fireball at a scone sitting on the picnic blanket, before realising that the blanket would probably go on fire too, so kicked it onto the grass and let the grass deal with it.

"It's a freeze ray now? I thought it was a freeze gun."

"They call it a freeze ray in the movie. It sounds way cooler."

Steve chuckled.

"Or I could invent some sort of robot that helps me take over the world."

"Oh don't do that. Those are really annoying. Had to fight one of those that Tony and Bruce accidentally made a few years ago."

"Ugh, I guess I'll have to come up with something more original then."

"What will you come up with?"

"Magic potions." She grinned.

"And what will your potions do?" He asked, playing along.

"Make a cute blonde superhero go on a date with me."

"I don't think you need a magic potion for that sweetheart, I think you're doing just fine on your own."

"Na, I think Thor needs a potion."

Steve pretended to be shocked, a fake, over exaggerated gasp came from him when Ember turned to grin.

"You're a nightmare, you know that?" He chuckled, kissing her lightly.

He kissed so softly, his lips barley brushing against hers, before Ember would he the one to let him know it was okay. It was as if she had to let him know that she still wanted this, she still wanted him, and this relationship.

He was so gentle with her. Each movement of her hand as he reached for her hair was so compassionate as his fingers delicately caressed her face, settling in her hair, his short stubble from the beard he was growing brushing against her face.

Steve pulled away first.

"I—" Steve stuttered, "I really fucking like you."

Ember giggled, she hated the fact that those sounds came out of her mouth, but at this point it was just frequent with Steve around. Both at the fact he just swore and at his child like confession of feelings.

"Yeah? I really fucking like you too." She said, her hand combing through his messy, blonde hair, "And you can't say language, cause you said it first."

He wanted to say more than 'I like you.' Saying that made him feel so fucking stupid. But he couldn't say it.

The words were on the tip of his tongue, but it was too soon to tell her, he didn't want to scare her off, he didn't want her to think he was still stuck in the past. He was different now than how he was in the 40s, not just because of the serum, not because of the 'time travel'— But because he met her.

She changed everything. She made him see the world in a light he had never thought to look through before.

And then there was Ember.

Ember was completely and utterly terrified. She would never tell him that, and he could never know. But this sort of commitment? She had never had any sort of commitment before. She had never even lived in the same place for more than five months never mind committed to being with someone.

And now where did they stand?

Were they dating? Was she his girlfriend? Ember didn't think she was ready for that yet. Committing to being on time for a date was enough commitment for her to deal with right now, never mind committing to calling fucking Steve Rogers her boyfriend.

She liked flirting with him, it was fun, it was stress free. It didn't have to mean anything. And she would happily sleep with him if the moment arose, I mean look at the guy. And having a conversation with him was easier than walking.

She really loved being around him. She wanted to spend every waking moment with him. And the dynamic they had going on right now, it was great. It really worked. And she loved it.

But Steve was old fashioned, she knew he was trying his best to loosen up for her. But jumping straight into a relationship still wasn't the best option for her, especially with how unstable she felt in the current moment.

He was ready to take on the world with her by his side. Her? Not so much.