f o r t y f i v e

August 18th 2017
St Kilda, Melbourne

They landed in Melbourne at around midday, after a accidental stop in Sydney, because Steve was stupid and let Bucky be in charge of navigating.

Bucky kept complaining about how it was Australia, and how it was supposed to be warm and sunny. He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that it was their winter.

"They're on the other side of the world, so everything is like... Opposite." Steve tried to explain.

"So what? They have dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner?" Bucky rolled his eyes.

"Not what I meant, Bucky."

Steve pulled his cap down and adjusted his sunglasses, he told Bucky they both had to blend in. But it wasn't a sunny day at all, so it just made them stand out.

"This is the place she's staying at." Steve said as they approached a small building. It was a rather modern suburban area, and the garden of the building that had been converted to a bed and breakfast looked very homely. Steve could see why she would've chosen to stay here.

"You gonna go in?" Bucky asked.

"I'll go and see what I can find out."

They decided that two grown men walking into a small bed and breakfast enquiring about a girl may give the owners the wrong idea, so Steve went in on his own.

"Sir, may I help you?"

A young man stood at the reception, dressed smartly in a white shirt and black dress pants.

"Uhm, yeah," Steve smiled, "I'm actually looking for someone, I think she's staying here? I was wondering if I could uhm, look over your list of current guests?"

The receptionist eyed him suspiciously, and something about it made Steve very uncomfortable. This was his job. He should be absolutely fine with going and finding someone, he had done it for hundreds of criminals and wanted organisations ever since he got out of the ice. But this was different. This was Ember he was looking for.

"I'm afraid that's disclosed information, Sir." He said, "For our guests safety, of course. If you could give me a specific name, however? That would be different."

Steve sighed. Ember wasn't stupid. She wouldn't have booked a hotel room with her actual name. Steve wasn't the only one looking for her.

Sometimes the best way around something was to just tell the truth.

"Look." Steve sighed, "There's someone that I care about very, very much staying here, and I just need to know she's alright. I know you're keeping this from me for your guests safety, but there are people looking for her, and I need to get to her before anyone else does."

"I'm sorry, Sir, I can't help you."

"There's nothing you can do at all?"

"Well, you could book a room and hang out here for a bit? You may see her in passing."

Wow. What a salesman.

"Fine. I'll take a room for two."

The receptionist raised an eyebrow.

Steve didn't say anything. He'd already said a lot. Maybe too much.

"How many nights is this for?" He asked.

"Just one night will be fine."

The receptionist punched in the information to his computer, and looked back up at Steve.