t w e n t y n i n e

April 18th 2017
Avengers Compound Shooting Range

Steve hated guns. He hated any kind of weapon really, apart from his shield. He was quite attached to that thing. He rarely ever carried a weapon that wasn't his shield, unless it was a very high stakes mission, like extracting Ember, which turned out to be not so high stakes as he thought it was going to be.

No matter how many therapy sessions he would go to, the sound of gunfire would always remind him of his final mission with Bucky where he fell from the train.

At first, the flashbacks were vivid, and would often end with him sweating, trouble breathing, and occasionally panic attacks. With help this managed to just become small flashes in his brain whenever a shot gets fired, and it's a lot better now that Bucky is actually back in his life and not just a distant memory of the friendship they used to have. It didn't change the fact he detested firearms.

He had a small pistol in his bedside drawer, just because he was paranoid that someone was going to kill him in the middle of the night, and a select few he kept downstairs he would only take on missions with him if absolutely necessary. Otherwise he stayed away from them.

Also getting shot so many times really fucking annoyed him.

And now that he had to teach Ember about how to properly handling a gun, he was pretty sure she was gonna accidentally shoot him through the abdomen or some shit.

"Can you not touch it, please." He pushed her hand away as she reached for one of the larger weapons in the room.

He really cared about her, he did. But that didn't change the fact she was fucking annoying.

"But that one looks cool."

"It's dangerous, Rose."

He didn't even understand why she needed to learn how to shoot. The girl could fire fucking fireballs from her arms like a goddam dragon, what use was a little metal thing that shot out more little metal things to her on the battlefield when she could do that?

He tried to talk her out of it, and he tried to talk Tony out of it. Tony was adamant she learned how to shoot properly, just incase she ever needed to know. Steve would've thought that due to Tonys over protective nature towards Ember he would've said no to the idea automatically. But apparently not.

And there was no hope in talking Ember out if the idea, either. She claimed shooting a gun was gonna make her look badass.

Didn't change the fact Steve despised guns.

"Bla, bla, bla." Ember rolled her eyes, reaching for the gun again.

"Stop touching them!" He snapped, slightly angrier than he wound ever deliberately mean to be towards her.

Exasperated was the only word Steve could use to describe this training session.

"Okay, okay," She rolled her eyes, putting down her outstretched arms. "Sorry, sorry."

Steve sighed.

"I'm sorry." He stretched out his arms to rest delicately on her shoulder, pissed at himself for lashing out at her.

He tested the waters of how she reacted with his hand on her shoulder, and since she didn't move, he moved the palm of his hand to cup her cheek, his thumb gently stroking her soft skin.

He hadn't properly seen her since their date. Steve was just bombarded with stuff and he ended up on calls with the senator, and writing emails (they fucking sucked, Steve would much rather beat up another red alien HYDRA dude than send another goddamn email) and he had no time to even pass Ember in the hallway never mind talk to her about their date.