t h i r t y e i g h t

June 17th 2017
Avengers Compound

"Now as in like... Today now?" Steve asked, clearly taken aback at the sudden urge Tony had to begin the brain scans right now, he hadn't even noticed Tonys text until his phone started ringing with Tony calling.

"Yes. Bruce is here, and he needs to help me with the machine, and you're here as what are you calling yourself? Her boyfriend? Or are you back in the 40s saying you're courting her? Whatever way, you'll be there as support. And then while you're away in Serbia, I'll take a look at the scans and try and figure out what sort of power we're really working with."

"You haven't even given me a chance to talk to her about it yet..." He said softly, the mention of Ember made her turn her head towards Steve, eyebrows raised.

"Well, you have ten minutes. Then I want you both down in the lab."

"I thought you said this was her choice." Steve argued.

"I don't think we have any choices anymore, Cap. Ross is already on my ass, talking about our dangerous new asset, and he's planning some sort of new version of the Sokovia accords, that this time, we won't be able to fight our way out of. So we have to just prove Ember isn't a dangerous asset, but instead a good addition to the team. But unless we have solid evidence of how she got her powers, and how we can prove nothing will go wrong, we can't even send her on missions because the media will slate us for it."

"We fought the accords once, Tony. We can do it again. And who gives a shit if the media slates us? We don't do it for the fame, well maybe you do, we do it to help people."

"We need to—"

"You're only doing this so the press don't eat you alive. And you called me selfish earlier? Tony I fucking love her, I'm not about to let you walk all over this like a science fair project, for the second time."

"The first time I had no control over. That was Coulsons team."

"Yeah, the team that you brought in."

"Just talk to her, alright? I know you want what's best for her. And if you truly want what's best for her, both of you will be down in the lab in ten minutes."

Tony ended the call, and Steve turned back to his guilt filled eyes, meeting hers which were full of confusion.

"Tony?" She asked quietly.

Steve nodded.

"Does he know about us?" She asked, "You said you loved me on the phone—"

He nodded again, "Yeah," He said quietly, "He's known for a while, I only found out today, though. Hadn't got the chance to tell you yet."

She wasn't entirely happy with Tony knowing just yet. She liked the bubble they had created, it felt secret and hidden. But now it wasn't. She felt safe, she had never felt that safe before.

"Is that what he wanted you to talk to me about?"

Steve stiffened, "Uh— No. There's something else."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothings wrong— Tony found a way to... Look inside your brain."

Ember scoffed, "Why the fuck?—"

"He wants to find the root of your power. Find the exact time stamp of when you got it. He thinks there's something gone wrong in the process that caused you to forget exactly how it happened."

She groaned, "I told you, I was drunk— Confused—"

"Yeah, sweetheart," He cupped her face with his hands, pressing a sweet kiss to her forehead, "I know, I know. I tried to tell him that."

Her hands were trembling. She didn't know why she was so scared.

"Maybe if you do it, it will get Tony off your back for a while? Ross too."

She chuckled, "If I had ran that day you guys wouldn't be caught up in my mess."

"If you had ran I would've kept chasing until I found you."

Ember smiled, "I love you. I really fucking love you." She whispered, burying her head into his chest as he encased her in a hug, "I wasn't the best person, or in the best mindset when you arrested me, but I think things are working out the right way, now."

"I think so too, Em. I love you."

"I'll do it."

"You're sure? We don't have to. And even if Ross demands it we can just leave—"

"It's fine, Steve. I'll do it."

June 17th 2017
Bruce's Lab

"This whole process will be completely painless, I promise." Bruce said as he connected two pads attached to countless wires to her temples.

She was sat on a metal chair in his lab, and after the wires were connected to her, he lowered a metal bar, meaning that she was encased in a, probably priceless, piece of technology to scan her brain.

"We've set it to look at the time you said your powers developed, so we should be able to pinpoint the exact time your powers developed."

"So you can just see my memories? That's actually kinda cool, man."

Bruce grinned, "Some of my best work. I'll be able to— Well Tony will be able to— Look at this time almost like he we going though a camera roll on someone's phone. I've developed it in a similar structure to the way someone's phone would be like, so hopefully if it all goes to plan we'll be able to see everything clearly."

"Everything?"

Bruce chuckled, "Just the time of your foggy memories."

"Sorry about that." She mumbled, "I don't drink anymore for a reason."

Bruce smiled softly, "That's alright I know a little something about what it feels like to... Y'know."

"Yeah," She replied, "I imagine you do."

Steve walked over and took her hand in his, squeezing it, he was worried about this whole test, she was taking it surprisingly well.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah," She nodded, "I'm alright."

Tony was sat in the corner, he wasn't really doing much, just watching Bruce do it all.

"You good on your own there?" Tony asked, feeling kind of useless just watching Bruce test on Ember. Yes, he wanted these tests to go ahead, but it didn't mean he was entirely comfortable with it.

"I think I'm good." He replied.

The scans had begun, Steve still sat next to Ember holding her hand. Probably for more of his support than his. Ember seemed to be fine with all of this, Steve was stressing like a bitch.

The scans were over in a matter of minutes, Bruce claimed that it was because it was really good technology.

"That's it, kid." Bruce said, unstrapping Ember from the machine, "I think we're done here."

"Thanks Bruce." She said quietly, "I hope you guys find what your looking for."

June 17th 2017
Tony's Office

It was after nightfall before Tony had the chance to sit down and look over the brain scans Bruce had forwarded him. Bruce hadn't looked at them either, Tony would be the first.

Bruce was right when he said it was exactly like looking through a camera roll. Tony was impressed with his work.

He swam his way through the endless files until he reached the time period he needed, and stared, mouth agape, as he watched what he found.

Tears pricked his eyes and anger filled his chest.

"Oh my fucking god."