t h i r t e e n

February 26th 2017
Avengers Compound - Embers Apartment

He hadn't exactly considered the consequences of what could happen if he kissed her. And he hadn't even noticed the anxiety of the action until she began to kiss him back, it was like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders that he hadn't even realised he was carrying.

After her initial gasp of shock, Ember and Steve's mouths fitted perfectly onto each others, falling instantly in time with one another.

Steve wanted nothing more for it to go further, to go all the way. He knew all he wanted in this moment was to carry her to the bed and fuck her until they both were so tired that she fell asleep in his arms.

But the 'don't fuck this up' warnings from Tony were playing over and over in Steve's head. He had never even intended it to go as far as a kiss — But it was too late for that part. The best thing that could happen for each of them is that, if Ember even wanted anything to come of this, after all it was just a kiss, is that they just take it slow.

"I've think I've been wanting to do that since the moment I saw you." He said breathlessly, after being the one to break the kiss.

"I thought you hated me." She joked, although something inside of her was disappointed that Steve broke the kiss.

"I didn't particularly like you, doesn't change the fact I wanted to kiss you senseless since the moment we met."

She tilted her head downwards, biting her lip to contain her smile that the blonde had managed to put on her face.

"I wouldn't have minded if you wanted to take it further." She whispered softly, shifting ever so closer to Steve.

Steve could've snapped right there and then, agreeing and taking it all the way. But he wanted to do this right.

She pressed her lips against his, softly, delicately. And in that moment something inside of him clicked.

"If you want this." He gestured between them both, "I wanna... I really want to do it right."

Ember couldn't help but feel disappointed, but she understood. Steve may think she had changed him, but he was still Steven Rogers from 1940s Brooklyn in the inside.

"Yeah... I understand, I get that. And I want this, us, too." She said with a small smile. "I didn't even know I wanted it—"

Steve leaned into her again and placed his hand at the back of her neck, supporting her as he connected both of their lips together.

"Sure ya don't wanna, Cap?" She pulled apart smirking, "I know you want to."

"Oh trust me, I do want to. It's all I can think about." He admitted huskily, "I just wanna wait till you're allowed to leave the Compound so I can take you on a real date first."

Embers heart flutter— To those who didn't believe she had a heart were now proven wrong.

"A date?" She asked, subconsciously biting her lip.

Steve's face turned to a worried frown, "You don't want to?"

"No! No, I do!"

"Yeah?" Steve's frown upturned.

"Yeah."

February 26th 2017
Avengers Compound

"You're staring." Natasha waved her hand in front of Embers face.

"Huh?" She snapped out of it, "I'm not staring."