t h i r t y s e v e n

18+

June 17th 2017
Avengers Compound

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Steve scoffed. "No way."

Tony sighed, running his fingers through, and messing up his perfectly styled hair.

"Do you not remember what happened last time one of your little experiments took place?" Steve and Tony had never properly gotten along, but since the beginning of the disagreements between Ember, their feud had gotten worse, "Your little science pals completely messed her up. You practically forced Johnson into making Em blowing her own arm up."

"I already fucking know that was a step too far." Tony hissed. Infuriated that Steve wasn't understanding where he was coming from. Helping Ember figure out where her powers came from was beneficial to her and to the Avengers, meaning if that there was anyone similar to her who may have gone rouge, they could stop them.

"How about a good few miles too far." Steve glared, his arms crossed.

Tony regretted brining in Coulson. He knew that his team were very ruthless when it came to finding out full answers. But with the information they had gotten back from the minimal tests they allowed Fitzsimmons to do, along with Bruce and his own work, they may have came up with a solution to go about this problem the right way.

"We're still working on it, Rogers. Give it a few weeks and we'll have it ready to go."

"It's a complete invasion of privacy, Tony."

Tony sighed. Those were the exact words he said. But it had to be done.

"I want you to take a think about the next thing I'm about to say, Steve." Tony said, his tone unusually quiet and collected.

Steve sighed. Always with Tony and the dramatics.

"Are you saying this for her, or are you saying this for selfish reasons."

Steve scoffed.

"Are you kidding me right now?"

Steve couldn't believe what he was hearing. Selfish? All he wanted to do was protect Ember. If he tapped into her head god knows what he'd find. Sure, he'd find the root of her power, but he'd also have access to everything else. Every memory, every thought, every dream. He could see anything he wanted to. He'd have this giant database of endless information, and knowing Tony, he didn't know if he'd be able to stick to just what he was looking for, instead of letting curiosity get the best of him, and exploring her entire brain.

She had gone over many times that she wasn't ready to tell Tony about their relationship.

But Tony would have access to every single thing she'd ever thought about Steve. That was not a healthy thing for your father figure to get a hold of.

"There is stuff she might not want you— us— the team— to see, like—"

"Like your relationship?" Tony asked bluntly.

Steve's jaw dropped.

"What? I'm not—"

"Don't even try lying about this one, Rogers. You're both shit at hiding it, there's no point."

Steve gulped.

"She wasn't ready to tell you." He said softly.

Tony sighed.

"That's alright." He said quickly, covering up the fact that he was somewhat hurt that Ember didn't confide in him.

"You sure?"