f o r t y

a/n

oh god i'm sorry in advance for breaking your hearts. this chapter has been written for so long, it was one of the first i wrote for this book and i'm so excited for you all to see it. don't hate me too much please

June 18th 2017
Tony's Office

Tony hadn't left his office all night, it was now the early hours of the morning, and he was still paralysed— Watching these videos of Ember on repeat, all memories of her joining HYDRA.

Some were foggy, difficult to make out. But there was enough there to know she was part of a terrorist organisation that threatened so much of what the Avengers fought against, and lied to every single one of their faces about. He couldn't work out a lot of the stuff happening, but he very clearly saw various conversations between Ember, Grant Ward and John Garrett. He even saw that Rumlow bitch in the background of a few memories.

He loved her like she was his own kid. He had never felt such a familial connection to anyone the way he did with Ember. All of the movie nights, game nights, time spent in his office, with her feet rested on the desk (despite Tonys protests)... She had just been using them the whole time. And for what

He just felt angry; Angry he let himself get so attached, angry he let himself believe every word that came out of her mouth.

He couldn't take it anymore. He watched the video one last time before standing up out of his desk chair and throwing the computer away, watching the expensive piece of technology as it collided with the floor in an enormously loud crash, the glass shattering, tiny shards scattering all over the office floor.

He slumped back into his office chair and sat with his head in his hands. He had to fix this. He just had to get her away. This had just gotten a lot more personal.

June 18th 2017
Avengers Compound Grounds

Steve couldn't sleep. He wasn't sure why. He just kept thinking about the ring in his pocket.

The engraved part always made him smile.

He was at the forested area he took her on their first proper date, it was way out from the compound building, and calm and serene enough for him to sit and think about the world. And life.

He wanted to propose soon. He wasn't sure of the sudden urgency, he just needed to.

He sat against a tree, twisting the ring in his hands, sliding it on and off his pinky finger since it's the only finger it fit on. They hadn't told anyone at the compound yet, only Tony knew, and he already wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. He didn't care that it was too soon. She knew she was the one.

June 18th 2017
Tony's Office

"FRIDAY, lock the door, secure the windows." Tony announced, rather loudly in hopes of waking Ember up, bursting into Steve's bedroom.

Tony hadn't really through this through. He just done it. He came here, without a plan, without an end goal, to come face to face with a powerful HYDRA agent, all because he was hurt.

He slumped in a chair, turning the lights on. Ember was beginning to wake up, sitting upright in the bed, rubbing her eyes.

"Tony? Is that you?" She yawned.

She noticed his facial expression, and her own reflected concern and confusion.

"Tony? It's the middle of the night," She noticed Steve wasn't here, but she wasn't worried about it, he told her he likes to go for walks in the middle of the night sometimes to calm his mind, "What's wrong?" She asked, standing up out of the bed.