f o r t y t w o

July 10th 2017
The Raft

It was much worse than Ember could ever have imagined. She fought them until she no longer could; until she had no more strength left to fight with.

The day she was brought here, was both a blur, and so vivid in her mind. The men who brought her in didn't care if they hurt her. They didn't care if they pulled on her arm too much that it bruised. They didn't care that she didn't get a trial and was automatically thrown into prison with the label of guilty.

A part of her wished that Steve would fix everything. But the other part of her wanted to rip his head off and throw it in the ocean.

She had cried a lot when she first got here. She cried so much that for only a moment, she went to sleep and forgot where she was. But she woke up to the same brutal treatment she had received every day since she got here.

When she was brought here they threw her straight in a cell, no matter how many screams and protests. The first day she screamed and cried the entire time she was in here. The second it happened again, until a guard came in and threatened her, which she knew he wasn't allowed to do since he held the knife in his hand out of view of the security cameras.

She didn't care if they stabbed her. At this point, it's what she'd rather.

So she kept screaming, and crying, and claiming she was innocent.

Until her lungs wouldn't let her scream anymore.

She'd met one other enhanced person in here. He called himself an inhuman. He'd been in here for three months, and had two failed escapes, each time he tried they strengthened his security. The only way she'd been able to talk to him was when he passed her cell, and the guard escorting him had gotten distracted, and stopped to talk to Embers guard.

She hadn't even thought through the idea of escaping until he had told her about it.

It actually happened on the raft more than you'd think. For a place that was supposed to be the most secure prison, the percentage of enhanced persons who managed to get away was rather high. If they broke out of whatever piece of evil technology was keeping their powers isolated, the guards didn't have the strength to beat them. Enhanced people were too strong for humans to have even a slight chance of defeating them, so if they had a solid escape plan, there was about an 80% chance they'd get away.

The only downside is that they'd have to live the rest of their lives on the run, constantly looking behind their shoulder, just waiting on someone to jump out on them. But, Ember had been doing that for years anyways. She knew how to run. She just didn't know how to start running, to begin, she had to escape the walls of, what was supposedly, the worlds most secure prison.

July 11th 2017
The Raft

"She's a good asset. Her powers are growing stronger. But we are struggling to properly wipe her. If you would only let us use the same technology as we did on the Soldat..."

The man shook his head, Ember watched them converse. Her arms were restrained to a chair, and she thrashed to try and break free, struggling.

"If you cannot wipe her. She is no use to this organisation."

"No use?- Sir, you've seen what she can do."

"Ward. If you don't get her wiped in the next 4 days. She is to be terminated and you find another subject immediately."

Ward gulped, intimidated by his superiors control over both him, and the asset.

"Understood, Sir."

The superior left the room, and Ward walked closer.

"You need to listen to me, kid." He spoke in a hushed tone. "You don't belong here. And I swear to you, that if you just give in to this technology and let me wipe you, I'll let you leave, and say I've terminated you and I'll find someone else."

Ember tried to speak, but she had been screaming so much lately in an attempt that someone, anyone, would come and help her. But no one ever came. The only thing she gained from that was a loss of voice.

"I won't wipe your entire memory. You'll still have some parts, this time with us will just be foggy."

Two years. She had been with them two whole fucking years.

She hadn't seen the outside world in a full twenty four months because they claimed she wasn't combat ready.

There was a time in those years that she did give in. She trained when she was told, she went where they wanted her to.

They had never told her to kill anyone. Because she wasn't ready to, her powers weren't strong enough... Until now.

She heard the mission briefing. They wanted to take out a veteran. His name was something along the lines of Samuel Watson? Wilson? It started with a W anyways... She couldn't quite remember.

HYDRA had learned that he was aiding Captain America, and the Winter Soldiers mission would be made easier if she could take him out instead.

"Believe me," Grant said, "I have my regrets about joining HYDRA, a lot of us do. But I'm in too deep to get out."

"Why should I believe anything you say?" She asked, her voice weak, broken. It sounded like she was awfully ill.

"I'm not the piece of shit everyone thinks I am, not all the time, anyways."

Ember scoffed.

"I'm serious. Just let me do this. I swear to you that your past will still be there."

Even if he fucked her over, and he fully wiped her, and she became a fully fledged HYDRA weapon. What would it even matter? She had nothing to live for, anyways. She has no family, that she knew of, anyways. She was bound to have relatives out there somewhere, but they obviously didn't want anything to do with her. And she didn't have friends. She had been a bit of a loner growing up. And even if she did have family or friends, she had been gone for two whole years, trapped in this fucking HYDRA prison. If she were to turn up on someone's doorstep, they'd probably not believe it was really her, they'd all think that she was dead.

"Fine." She said, swallowing the lump in her throat, "Do it."

She woke in a cold sweat, the prison guard banging on her door.

"QUIT THE YELLING IN THERE." He shouted, his fist colliding with the metal door several times.

She sat up, from the rickety piece of shit prison bed, breathing heavily.

It was just a dream, it was just a dream.

But she knew in her gut that it wasn't a dream.

It was real. She had been HYDRA.

Steve was right... It didn't excuse the fact that he, the biggest hater of guns she'd ever met, held a gun to her fucking forehead.

But it didn't change the fact that she was actually HYDRA. The Avengers just didn't know the full story yet.