e i g h t e e n

March 31st 2017
Avengers Compound

Much to Rogers utter dismay, it didn't take the team long to find out about his injury, and it didn't take them long to start yelling at him for not telling them, or for not going to the infirmary to get proper help.

So consequently the debriefing got pushed back 2 weeks, and even though Steve argued he didn't need to be benched for that amount of time due to his super soldier healing, the team wouldn't have any of it— They didn't want to take any unnecessary chances.

And two weeks without work, meant two weeks spending time on his own, or with whoever else wasn't working. And the only person he actually cared to talk to that wasn't on the team, was Ember.

Spending time with Ember came with its ups and downs. The upside was that he got to spent time with someone who he did genuinely enjoy being in their company, but the downside was that Steve Rogers was now neck deep in his attraction for Ember Rose.

March 31st 2017
Avengers Compound

Unfortunately Pepper would be away for her birthday on a business trip, so she had agreed to let Tony throw her an early birthday party before she left for England the day after.

And because Ember had grown so close to both Pepper and Tony, she was helping to set up for the party.

"You got a sign that says 'happy birthday salt?'" Ember asked, while Tony was facing the other direction.

"No I didn't?" He replied, still up on a stepladder hanging up decorations.

"I'm completely serious, Tony. The printing company must have messed up."

"WHAT?" He jumped down off the ladder and ran in her direction towards the banner. "I'm gonna sue them, I'll sue the damn people."

Ember stifled a laugh, and held out the banner for him to grab.

He opened it out and read the words, glaring at Ember as soon as he did so.

"ROSE." He groaned, "I love you, I really do, but sometimes I hate you."

Ember laughed and took back the banner, which clearly said Happy Birthday Pepper.

"Love you too, Dad."

"Stop calling me that, it makes me seem old."

"You are old." She grinned mischievously, "So you're my dad."

"If Pepper could adopt you, I think she would." Tony laughed, giving Ember a hand with hanging up the huge birthday banner. "Ever since you spent the evening with us for that games night— She loves you like a daughter, y'know."

She wasn't really sure how it happened, but a few months ago Ember had ended up at Tony and Peppers apartment for dinner. They played games and watched movies until late into the night, and she had enjoyed their company more than any other... Parental figures company, than she had ever had before.

"I'm still pissed she beat me at Monopoly."

"Well I mean she is the CEO of one of the most successful companies in the world—"