4

I triple check that I am on my side of the border before sitting against a tree with my diary. The border is about a ten minute walk into the woods from the Parandor side, marked by a tree leaning severely to the right. When you pass it, you are in Targanvor territory.

I unclip my pen from the pages and open to next blank page. My face reddens as I glimpse at the page I wrote just yesterday about how much I wanted to see Mohtali and what I would say to him when I saw him again. I begin writing about what I'm doing now and try not to sound so pathetic in my own diary. 

It is early September, so the sun still beats down on me relentlessly in the middle of the day, but I brought my cloak if the weather gets chilly while I wait. I do not know how long I'm willing to wait for Mohtali, but I do not want to leave any time soon. 

I write through three pages before closing the cover and watching the bird fly from branch to branch. They sing to each other melodically, it's incredibly soothing. I can also fall asleep to the soft, high pitched songs. The leaves are already falling off the trees a wonderful combination of yellow and green. My shadow has moved from the left of me and I can't see it anymore, noticing how high the still sun is. I think it's moved the tiniest bit to the right, so I guess I've been waiting an hour. I did not realize how much I'm aching to see Mohtali. My heart is racing at the idea of setting my eyes on him, let alone speaking to him again. 

I hear distant sound of hooves pounding the ground and quickly stand. I break out in a sweat, my forehead and back growing hot under my dress. I see a chestnut brown horse come around the leaning tree and I set my eyes on its rider. It is not Mohtali. 

He is a younger man, probably about 18 years old, dressed similarly to the chief. He examines me suspiciously through his almond shaped eyes as his horse comes to a stop. I take notice of the bow and arrows in a sheath on his back, secured by a strap around his shoulder and torso. We stand there watching each other, trying to guess what the other person is doing.

"Are a messenger from King Vincent?" The young man asks.

"N-No," I stammer. "Um, I was hoping to see HIs Majesty today."

"Chief Mohtali?" He asks in surprise.

"Indeed." I nod. 

"Do you have business with him?"

"Yes. It is private. Is there any way you could fetch him for me now?"

"His Majesty is very busy today, but I could pass along a message now if you would like. I only came for a few moments to check the border."

"Could I write a note to give to him?" 

"Yes. I will deliver it to him immediately."

"Thank you."

I pick up my diary from the ground and quickly turn to a clean page. I think for a moment before scribbling out my request for the chief to meet me in this exact spot at 2 o'clock tomorrow if he is able. I rip it out and fold it four times before praying he does not refuse me. The young man comes closer, allowing his horse to step into Parandor for a few seconds to take the note. 

"Thank you." I find myself smiling. "Oh, tell him it is from Dahlia. He will know who I am."

He nods and turns, sending his horse into a gallop back to this tribe. I tie up my cloak and hurry back home, feeling as though I am flying through the air. 

~

"Hello, darling." Mother smiles when I return. 

She is embroidering by the fire in the front room.

"Hello, Mother." I remove my cloak and hand it to one of our few maids. 

"How was your afternoon?" She glances up at me momentarily as I sit across from her.

"Lovely, thank you. How are you?"

"Quite well," She glimpses up at me again. "What were you doing?"

My heart drops to my feet and my blood becomes cold, "What do you mean? I went on my walk as always." 

"You are breathing heavily and you are sweating. Are you ill?"

"No." I shake my head. 

"Are you positive? I have never seen you this way before. If you are not sick, I would have to say you are in love." She smiles teasingly. 

"I am," I blurt out. "I was waiting until I knew more about him to speak with you about it."

"How exciting!" Mother places her embroidery on the table beside her. "What do you know about him thus far? What is his name?"

"I do not know it."

"You are in love and you do not know his name?" Mother laughs. "Have you at least spoken?"

"I only see him from afar. On my walks, I see him riding through the trees. I do not know where he is going. I have seen him for some days now. He has curly hair, dark hair, a very nice smile, and dressed lavishly. As if he were a prince. When I see him...I feel he is my destiny. Is that foolish?"

I do not realize until I say the words that I feel this way about Mohtali. Saying it aloud lights an intense fire in me that I have never felt. 

"No, not at all! I think that is wonderful! I felt the same way about your father when we first met. I had only spoken to him once and I was madly in love. We must find this young man for you." Mother clasps my hands in hers.

"Do you believe that you can?"

"Of course! I will just ask your father if he knows of any families with sons that fit your description. He has designed and built all the houses in this area, he is bound to know who lives in them."

"What if he does not live nearby?" I ask fearfully.

"He would not be this far out in the country if he did not live nearby. Do not worry, we will find your one true love." She beams. 

I force a smile, "Thank you."

"Of course. I want you to be happy." She presses our joined hands to her heart, a sign of endearment she has used since I was a child. 

I settle back in my chair and she joyfully resumes her embroidery. I cannot believe I'm going to let my parents search for a man I'm sure does not exist just because I could not come up with an explanation for my excitement. I should feel incredibly guilty, but instead I am relieved. They will look for this mystery man and when they do not find him, they will give up, offer their pity, and we will all move on. This way, they will never find out I am interested in Mohtali. It has only just occurred to me that my parents could somehow find out that I met members of the Targanvor tribe, let alone that I am actively seeking out the Chief of Chiefs again. 

I gaze into the fire, relaxing more into my seat. I let my excitement grow again. If Mohtali does not refuse me, I will see him tomorrow. I will be able to talk to him, know him better. I hide my smile behind my hand. I am certain he will meet me. Just as I am certain the sun will rise.