Fifteen

"I am afraid I must agree with the Sultan." Father says quietly after I've calmed down from my crying.

"Father—" I begin, but he interrupts me.

"Georgiana, I have kept my silence about your problem since you have arrived, but please, listen to me." He places his hand on top of mine.

I nod and blot my eyes with my tissue.

"I understand you feel out of place in Buran, but you cannot run from your husband. From what you have told your sister and I it sounds like he did everything in his power to bring you happiness."

"He did." I whisper.

"By refusing to return, you are punishing him for the actions of others. You know that is not fair to him, Georgiana. He has loved you and given you a magnificent life. The opinion of those jealous courtiers should not matter to you. And furthermore, you are only giving them what they want by running away. They wish to see you fall. Do not give them any more satisfaction."

I stay silent as I digest what he is telling me. Guilt begins creeping into my chest and my mind.

"And now that you are with child," Father continues. "Your place is by your husband's side creating a better Buran for your child to one day rule."

I gaze up at him, "I am afraid I am not strong enough to stand beside my husband again."

"Georgiana, you are one of the strongest women I know," He smiles. "Just like your mother. With her strength, you will be a great Sultana. And an even better mother. But you cannot do that if you do not return to Buran."

Hearing Father talk about my mother fills me with a desire to return to Buran as fast as I can and stand up to the nobles and the rest of the court. Zahid has always been kind to me. When we met, he was not afraid to tell me he was falling in love with me. He was willing to make me royalty and give me anything on this Earth I wanted. He has been a wonderful husband every single day, all while ruling over Buran. At very least, he deserves just as much effort from me as a wife.

I stand, "We must hurry."

~

After traveling the entire night and most this day, we have finally arrived in Buran at sunset. Zahid and I's favorite time of day. I take in the red, orange, and purple gradient sky and my heart soars with happiness. I have missed my beautiful land. And any moment now I will be with my husband again.

"Your Majesty?" Abdul says in shock as he comes outside. One of the coachmen must of informed him of our arrival.

"Abdul," I approach him. "Please send my ladies to my room. Do not tell His Majesty I am here." I instruct.

"Of course, but why, Your Majesty? The Sultan will be overjoyed you have returned."

"Please, do this for me, Abdul." I smile, reaching out and briefly squeezing his hand.

"As you command, Your Majesty." He bows before turning to go back into the palace.

I faintly hear the wonderful music I have grown to love. I tilt my head in the direction of it, "Abdul?"

"Yes, Your Majesty?" He turns at the entrance.

"Where is that music coming from?"

"A party is being thrown for the Sultan in the main ballroom. His cousin, Amir, arranged it for him."

I take Eleanora's hand, "Come with me." At first, I was simply going to change from my travel dress, but now I want to look as gorgeous as I can for the party. For Zahid.

"Father, will you wait for us near the main ballroom?" I ask him as Eleanora and I rush towards the palace.

"Yes, of course. Hurry!" He smiles, urging us on.

We walk as quick as we can towards Zahid and I's room. My ladies are already waiting. They curtsy as we enter.

"Your Majesty," Fatima steps forward first. "It is so good to see you here again. We hope that you are well."

I smile at her, "Thank you, Fatima. It is good to be back. You all remember my sister, Eleanora."

"Of course, Lady Eleanora." They all curtsy to her.

"Will you help us prepare? There is a party we need to attend." I smile.

"It would be our honor, Your Majesty." Yara says kindly.

They bring out my trunks of clothes. We sort through until we find the perfect dresses. I choose a new gold dress that I did not have a chance to wear before I left. The fabric has a beautiful sparkle to it with intricate beading all over it. My ladies help me slip into it and I am in awe. As they are helping Eleanora into a gorgeous blue gown, I tell Adira to bring my crown. She leaves the room and comes back a few moments later with the wooden box. Fatima fastens a small gold pendant necklace around my neck as Adira lifts the crown out of the box with extreme caution and places it on my freshly combed and curled hair.

"How do I look?" I ask Eleanora as Yara fixes her hair.

She beams at me, "Like royalty."

~

Father is waiting at the doors of the ballroom with Abdul and another doorman. Father smiles at me before taking my hand.

"You both look magnificent." He kisses my cheek before kissing Eleanora's.

"Are you ready to go in?" Abdul asks us.

The music has reached an exciting climax, making me sway along to the rhythm. "Yes."

They open the doors and we walk through, a hush falling over the crowd. The music stops and all eyes are on me. Zahid stands at the front of the room.

Father squeezes my hand before releasing it. I begin walking to him, everyone parting to let me through. No one curtsies or bow as I pass. They are shocked that I am in here. That makes me hold my head even higher. I stand in front of Zahid confidently, my heart skipping a beat in my chest. I dip a low curtsy, "Your Majesty."

"Gigi," He whispers. "You...came back to me."

"This is where I am meant to be. I am sure of that now."

He steps down from the platform and takes both of my hands in his. I cannot help the smile that grows on my face.

"My Sultana," He moves his hands to gingerly cup my face. "My wife. My love."

"I am so sorry for deserting you," I whisper. "I hope you can forgive me."

"I already have." He smiles, tears filling his eyes. "Welcome home, Georgiana."

He leans in and gives me a sweet, gentle kiss. Everyone applauds, much to my surprise. We draw back and beam at one another.

"I love you." I tell Zahid.

"I love you. My beautiful wife."

I see everyone out of the corner of my eye begin to curtsy or bow down with low murmurs of, "Your Majesty." As I look out, I realize they are addressing me. They are showing their respect to me. Even if it all goes back to the whispering and the disapproving glances tomorrow, they know that I have the courage to rise above that. They know that I am here and I am their Sultana. All because my husband saw it in me to rule beside him.

I place my hand on my stomach and pray to Al-Qadir that I have a daughter. And that she is as strong as I am learning to be.