Chapter 8

"My name is Annalisa, my lady." The third girl today curtsies to me (something I suspect Leopold told all the applicants to do and will never get used to if this continues) and clasps her hands in front of her.

I have fifteen more girls to speak to today.

"How old are you, Annalisa?" I ask her.

"Seventeen."

"Have you been in anyone else's employment?"

"I was a lady to the Earl of Avron's wife."

"Why are you no longer employed there?" Johanna asks from beside me.

"My father is a distant cousin to the king and my mother suggested that I come to court and try to secure a position. My mother said that if the king is finally courting someone, she must be the epitome of grace and beauty." Annalisa smiles shyly.

"Thank you. You are too kind." I smile back.

"Do you know how to sew or stitch? Play an instrument? Any card game you are especially good at?" Johanna drills her with questions.

"Johanna, give the poor girl a chance to answer." I laugh.

"It's alright," Annalisa assures me. "I do know how to sew and stitch, I do not play an instrument, but I am a very good at Hearts."

"I love Hearts," I say excitedly. "I could play for hours."

"You are in luck because my brothers have ripped playing cards from my hands on many occasions."

I trade glances with Johanna and we nod to one another. I turn back to Annalisa, "I would be honored if you came to court as one of my ladies."

She is the first I've chosen today. The other two girls were such bores.

"Thank you, my lady. The honor is all mine."  Annalisa curtsies.

"I would like you at court by next week. Johanna will give you your uniform when you arrive." I tell her.

She leaves and another girl comes in behind her. I know straight away she is the Duke's daughter. Her nose is in the air as if she already knows she's better than me.

"My name is Gwendolyn, my lady." She hesitates before curtsying.

"The Duke of Norden's daughter?" Johanna asks.

She nods, her medium blonde ponytail bobbing.

"Have you ever been employed in anyone's household?" I examine her expensive tan dress and neatly trimmed nails.

"No. My father wanted me to have schooling." She says matter-of-factly.

"Do you have any special skills to amuse me?" I attempt to smile.

"I suppose I can carry a tune, my lady."

"Sing for us." Johanna challenges. 

"Pardon me?" Gwendolyn looks shocked. 

"Sing." Johanna says sternly. 

Her face turns a bright shade of red and she nervously fusses with her hands. She clears her throat and opens her mouth, taking a deep breath. I look at Johanna and see a cocky smirk on her face, ready to revel in Gwendolyn's embarrassment. But I cannot sit here and let that happen. I admit I'm harboring sour feelings toward her because of her father, but that isn't right. Gwendolyn hasn't done anything wrong to me. 

"Gwendolyn, don't." I hold up a hand to stop her. "There is no need. You will show me another time, when we've gotten better acquainted. Please be at court by next week. You'll receive your uniform then. Thank you." 

She gives a rushed curtsy and leaves quickly. I turn to Johanna with a smile, "That was very cruel." 

"That girl is uppity." Johanna says as explanation. 

"How could you know that for sure? She didn't speak more than a few sentences." 

"You've seen the way her father acts. Gwendolyn is bound to be the same. She barely curtsied to you, Cecelia." 

I almost remind her that none of the girls even need to curtsy to me and that I am not someone of noble blood, but I refrain. Sometimes, it is best to let Johanna have her stubborn opinions. 

~

By mid afternoon I have picked all ten of my ladies. Five of them will stay at court and the other five will stay at home and wait if I should need them at another time. The five I chose to stay at court are Annalisa, Gwendolyn (I did not have much of a choice), and three wonderful girls named Elaine, Lenora, and Mary-Beth. 

John escorts me to lunch afterwards. Leopold wants to meet in a different place than usual. But John takes me behind the throne room as he would normally. He leads me to the very back of the room to a door I've never noticed before. He announces me and I go in. 

"Leopold." I smile as I curtsy. He is seated at his desk in the corner of his enormous room. I gaze around at the fluffy rugs, the ornate chairs, and the archway that gives me a view of his large bed. There's a small table in the middle with candles and two plates of food. 

"Cecelia," Leopold looks up from his work with a big smile and comes over to me. He gingerly cups my face with and gives me a swift kiss. "Did you select your ladies?" 

"Yes. I am very excited to know them better."

"Even Gwendolyn?" Leopold ask jokingly. 

"Even her. She is quite nice." We sit at the table. "What were you working on?" 

"Nothing you should be concerned with yet, sweetheart." He smiles. "I have a gift for you." 

I ignore his vague statement, "A gift?" 

"John?" Leopold calls. John enters a moment later with a small square box. He hands it to me and closes the door behind him. I open it excitedly and gasp in surprise at the comb. 

"Leopold...this is gorgeous. Thank you. Did you make this?"

"I did. How did you know?" 

"It looks like it was made with great care."

"It was. I wanted it to be perfect for you." 

"I will have to give you something." 

"Cecelia...you already have. This happiness is immeasurable." 

I reach across the table for his hand because I could never find enough words to tell him his immense happiness will never compare to mine.