9

"My love, you must wake up. Today is a very important day." Mohtali murmurs as he kneels by my side of the bed, stroking my hair. 

I stir and pry my eyes open. My vision is cloudy and set my eyes on the blur that is my new husband. 

"The sun has not yet risen." I groan and close my eyes again. 

"It is almost five in the morning. We have to get ready to present you to everyone and I have some surprises for you."

I crack my right eye open, "Surprises?"

"Indeed," Mohtali grins. "But you must get up now if you want to receive them."

He takes my hand and with a labored sigh, I allow myself to be pulled from our warm bed. 

"Are you always this difficult to wake up?" My husband teases as I rub the blurriness from my eyes. 

"When I am sleeping next to my husband in the softest bed in the entire kingdom, I am."

He kisses my forehead and motions to the bedside table behind me, "I have brought us tea and a little food before the breakfast and dancing in your honor."

"Do not tell me that is my surprise." Mohtali hands me a small cup of tea and take notice it is made out of pristine white bone, like one from an animal, with more intricate designs. 

"No, what I have for you is much more exciting." He pops a grape in his mouth and goes over to one of the big wooden chests on the other side of the tent. I take a sip and feel my stomach grow warm. The smooth lemon and honey tea is refreshing and fills me with comfort at the same time.

He pulls out a neatly folded item and joins me again. The purple beaded gown amazes me as he unfurls it and the hem falls to the ground. The beads catch the light beautifully. I take hold of one of the long sleeves, feeling the luxury. 

"I will wear this?" I whisper. 

"Yes. Hadiza brought it when you were sleeping. My mother and grandmother wore it as their coronation gown, but I feel that it is fitting today. I have new clothes brought for you today, so do not worry if you wish to change for the dancing later." 

"No, I will wear this all day long. It is perfect. Thank you."

"No need to thank me." He lays it tenderly on our bed. "I will return in just a little while, so you should prepare. Just for today you will have to do it yourself. After you are introduced to our people, you will have servants and ladies to do your bidding.  You will want for nothing, my love."

I take his hands and pull him closer to kiss me. His lips are soft and inviting. I fall into him just as I did last night when we spent hours consummating our marriage. 

"Do not tempt me." Mohtali smiles as we part, his nose brushing mine. 

"As you wish, Your Majesty." I drop a small curtsy. 

He leaves the tent and I venture over to the tub in front of the mirror, letting my white slip fall to the floor.

~

I sit in front of the mirror and brush my drying hair with a new brush Mohtali left for me. I am thinking about a million different things at once. My parents and Charles must be confused and worried sick. I left all my possessions at home. The Targanvor will hate that a Parandorian woman will rule alongside their Chief and worst of all, I have committed a crime against my king and country. The muscles in my jaw tighten along with my neck and shoulders. Once I'm introduced, I will have someone get a letter to my parents, even if it means illegally crossing the border. But reading the letter will not replace me in their lives. I will most likely never see them again. The hollowness in my heart deepens to think that they will hate me for this or stay awake at night wondering where they could have gone wrong. My friends will be disgusted with me, especially Adelaide. I can see their faces judging me and gossiping horribly about me.