Chapter 9

Every second with Leopold is like a fairy tale. He showers me with gifts even when I tell him not to. He makes time for me. Rescheduling meetings with his council and canceling private audiences with his secretary to take walks with me, play cards with me, and to have meals with me. For example, he has pushed back another council meeting to play charades with me in his room.

"Next," I laugh. "Who am I?"

I make my spine pin straight and hold my head up high, giving a stiff bow.

"Cecelia." Leopold says chidingly with a smile.

"I am not Cecelia." I say in an exaggerated gruff voice.

"I have to admit you do a very good Dominic." He laughs.

As if he was summoned by the sound of his name, John enters Leopold's room and announces the Duke of Norden. He strolls in with his nose high in the air, just as I betrayed him.

"Your Majesty," He bows to Leopold and hesitantly glances at me resting against the king's bed. "Cecelia."

"Your Grace." I give a small curtsy.

"Your Majesty, the men of the council are waiting." The Duke tells him.

"Put the meeting off until tomorrow." Leopold says with ease.

"I am afraid we can not do that. You have already put off the meeting three times, Your Majesty." The Duke makes sure I do not miss the hostile look he throws my way.

"Next week, Dominic. You have my word." Leopold tells him.

"Sweetheart, hold the meeting," I interject. "I will amuse myself. We are having dinner tonight, after all."

"Are you sure, Cecelia? The council can wait." Leopold holds his hand out to me and I take it. He ushers me into his lap.

"I am sure. You are a king. You have a duty to your kingdom." I smile as I playfully tug on his beard.

"Very well. I will see you at dinner?"

"I will see you then, Your Majesty." I stand and curtsy to him.

I acknowledge the Duke before leaving. Mary-Beth and Annalisa are waiting for me outside the door.

"Annalisa, let's play a game of hearts." I say as we begin walking to my room. "Mary-Beth, will you run me a bath?"

"Of course, Your Grace." Mary-Beth murmurs.

I halt and turn to face her. Her head is bowed respectively, displaying the crown of her bright red head. She timidly peeks up at me through her eyelashes.

"Mary-Beth, why did you call me that?" I whisper.

"Um..." She looks at Annalisa for help.

"Perhaps Your Grace should speak to Johanna." Annalisa suggests.

"Will she tell me what this is about?"

They are silent.

I turn and walk quickly around the corner, the opposite direction of my room. The guard opens the door for me and I rush in. The princesses are seated on Francesca's couch reading.

"Your Grace," Princess Evangeline closes her book.

"Your Highness...is this a joke you are all playing on me?"

"A joke?" She furrows her brow.

"Your Grace, I'm sure we do not know what you mean." Princess Francesca says.

"I am not Your Grace." I say in frustration.

The princesses look at one another in confusion, as if I've lapsed into another language.