Eleven

"Her Majesty is here to see you." Abdul tells Zahid as I enter the unfamiliar room. I had asked Abdul to take me to my husband because after our disagreement I could not find him. It was because he has disappeared into an office I did not even know existed. It's dark, not at all like every other room in the palace, alive with color and splendor. There are no windows, just dark wood on the floor and walls, making me feel as if I am in a cave. Zahid looks up from his work with indifference and speaks to Abdul in Buranian before he bows and leaves us.

"Did you need something?" Zahid asks me, continuing to work on whatever it is he is doing.

"I would like to speak with you," I murmur. "If that would be alright." I look around distractedly. I do not like the fact that this is where Zahid came. It is very somber and depressing.

"What are you looking for?" He sighs.

"Nothing," I finally gaze at him. "I want to apologize. When I am upset I say things I do not mean."

"I believe you meant everything you said," Zahid says gently. "Although...I understand why you feel the way you do. I shut my eyes to Amir and the other nobles' behavior because I thought if I acted as though I did not mind, everyone else would too. But that did not happen and I am sorry you did not enjoy yourself tonight and that you are so unhappy."

"I am not unhappy," I go over to him and take his hand in mine. "I am very happy here. I simply have to try harder to adjust to all the customs and expectations."

"But you do not want to."  Zahid whispers sadly.

"You are right, but I love you and this is the life I chose when we married. Certain things are expected of me and I simply must accept that."

"So you will not leave me? If you truly are miserable I will do whatever I can to make you happy again, Gigi. Just do not leave me. I do not know what I do without you." Zahid leans on me, wrapping his arms around my waist like a child clinging to their mother.

"I will never leave you, my love." I rake my fingers through his soft hair.

"I'm sorry I was not kind to you. I should be more considerate of your feelings." He mumbles.

"And I'm sorry for my outburst. I should mind what I say more often."

"You are happy here, aren't you?" He glances up at me.

I kiss his head and hold him close to me, "Very happy."

~

Before Zahid and I go to bed I read the letter from home. When I open it I see it's in Eleanora's hand.

Dear Georgiana,
How are you? Father and I miss you so much. We were both concerned because we have not heard from you, but we know you must be terribly busy, being royalty and all. We are doing well. Father has been given a new assignment! In addition to being the ambassador to Buran, he will be the ambassador to Claria. So he will be seeing cousin Cecelia from time to time. I also have news of my own. The Earl of Gamley has asked Father for permission to court me! He visited me two days ago and took me on a walk and he will be escorting me to party at court. If everything goes well I will be Lady Gamley. But enough about me. I hope everything is going well for you in your marriage and you are happy. Do you miss us? I know you have many responsibilities now and a duty to your new people, but I hope you think of us as much as we think of you. We love you and we'll be eagerly awaiting your reply.
-Love, Eleanora and Father

"How is your family?" Zahid murmurs, glancing over my shoulder at the letter.

"They're wonderful. My sister has a suitor and my father has been made ambassador of my cousin's kingdom. I told you about Cecelia, didn't I?