Chapter 5

"Miss Cecelia, I am Mr. Gale. I am the royal dressmaker for the princesses." A slender, handsome middle aged man bows to me.

"Sir." I give a short, respectful curtsy.

"The king sent me to make you any dress of your choosing."

"Any dress?" I smile. "Any dress I want?"

"Correct, Miss Cecelia." He motions to a trunk full to the brim with rolls of colorful fabric. Every color I could dream of is in front of me.

"What color would you like?" Mr. Gale asks me.

"Red," I say with certainty.

He pulls a bright red fabric out of the trunk, followed by maroon. I choose the maroon and Mr. Gale begins to take my measurements. I'm struck with the same feeling of importance I had earlier today, that shamefully warm sensation in the pit of my stomach. King Leopold cares for me, even if those feelings are temporary, enough to give me such a thoughtful gift like this.

After Mr. Gale takes my measurements, he asks me what I would like the dress to look like. I haven't the faintest idea, so I tell him I'll wear whatever he creates. He gathers his fabrics and sewing supplies and leaves. Mr. Gale tells me he'll be done with my dress by early this evening, just in time for my dinner with His Majesty.

I ask John where I can get water so I can take a short bath. I argue, but he insists on servants doing it for me. Two women fill the small tub in the corner with steaming hot water and add lavender oil. I scrub my skin clean, never letting my hands idle. I know if I cease movement I'll daydream of the king and won't stop. After my bath, the two servants (after much protest on my part) dry and brush my hair. One starts on a braid while the other looks through the small box of ribbon I brought. She pulls out my red ribbon, one that I never had occasion to wear.

The other servant makes another braid and ties them together with the red ribbon, leaving the rest of my light brown hair cascading down my back.

Mr. Gale returns with my dress and I'm speechless. The shoulders are short with puffed sleeves and the neckline is square. The bodice of the dress is a lighter red than the rest of the fabric, with gold thread making vertically stripes down the middle. The entire dress has accents of gold throughout. It's the most gorgeous dress I've ever seen.

"Do you like it, Miss Cecelia?" Mr. Gale asks me.

"It is magnificent." I say in awe.

The women leave after I insist on dressing by myself. The dress fits me perfectly. It's not until I look in the mirror that I fully comprehend that I am seeing the king.

John arrives and says the king is waiting for me. My heart skips a beat. I follow him out of the room, my breathing becoming labored. John escorts me up the corridor and around a right corner. I follow him down another corridor with servants lighting candles on tables and on the walls. John leads me to an archway at the end of the hall. It opens up to a throne room. King Leopold's throne sits proudly on a platform in the middle of the room. John leads me past it to a door on the right side. He opens it for me and I find myself glued to the spot.

"Miss Cecelia?" John questions.

"The king...he is in that room?" I whisper.

"Yes, Miss Cecelia. You can go in."

I nod, "Thank you, John."

And I force myself to take the first step forward. Then I'm walking. The king is sitting at a long table.

"Cecelia," He smiles as he stands.

"Your Majesty." I curtsy.

"I'm so glad you are here." He comes around the table and takes my hand delicately, kissing it.