Chapter 11

I saw something troubling at the engagement announcement that I have been agonizing over for days now. The Duke of Norden and Queen Mother Helena were whispering in a corner for most of the event. At one point during the party, they even called Gwendolyn over and whispered with her for a few moments. The entire situation baffled and worried me. I thought, what could the Duke and Queen Mother possibly be discussing so secretly? Surely any topic of discussion between them would be something any two people could discuss. Then I realized, the Queen Mother did not congratulate Leopold and I on our engagement. She did not speak to either one of us. The Queen Mother has now joined the Duke and Gwendolyn in their plot against me, although I have no clue why. I have done nothing to upset either of them.

I understand my relationship with Leopold happened very suddenly, but I am not an evil person because of it. From the Duke's point of view I understand it would be difficult to accept your best friend falling in love with a woman and barely telling you about it, but I thought he would accept me with open arms once he met me and saw I have nothing but love for Leopold. I'm just going to continue what I am doing because I am doing nothing wrong.

"Have you given any thought to the wedding?" Leopold asks, kissing my cheek. I am sitting with him in his room after a council meeting.

"Some." I kiss him.

"And?"

I kiss Leopold again, "My answer is yes. But there is something I need."

~

Dear Mother and Father,

I hope you are both in good health. Thank you for all your congratulations on my elevation. I am writing to tell you to please come to court for a very special event. King Leopold and I are getting married. It will be a private ceremony. The two of you will be the only guests. I suppose this letter will arrive on Wednesday, so please set out to court the next day. We'll have the ceremony the day when you arrive. I love you both very much and I will see you at the wedding.

All the love in the world,
The Duchess of Wimberly

~

"My apologies, Your Grace. The Queen Mother is not here." Her private secretary tells me.

"She is not? I saw her just a moment ago. You must be mistaken."

"She is not here, Your Grace." He says forcefully.

"Alright," I clasp my hands in front of me, "I'm sure the king will be very interested in how his mother disappears and reappears before my eyes."

I turn and walk away almost in a rage. Gwendolyn and Annalisa rush to catch up to me.

"Your Grace, what is the matter?" Annalisa asks with great concern.

I face them, glaring at Gwendolyn more than I intend to.

"Lenora, I believe there are some people in the palace who are purposely avoiding me for reason I don't know." I tell her.

"Your Grace, I'm sure that isn't true." She smiles.

"I'm sure it is." I retort and continue walking to my room. Johanna is waiting at the door.