Chapter 16

-Six Months Later-

I do not know how much more I can take. Of both my pregnancy and the Duke's treachery. I am most excited to greet my first child, but the more my stomach grew the more pain I was in. My back aches constantly, it feels like my ankles can barely support me, and I am always hungry but too nauseous to eat. Leopold is worried that I am not sleeping because I'm forced to sleep on my back. The baby kicks every day. When it happens, Leopold rushes to feel as if it's the first time. He is beyond thrilled for the baby to arrive. The physician says I am due to give birth any day now. And as for the Duke? The snide remarks and hostile looks have not stopped. I know Gwendolyn still goes to him with reports about me and they whisper about me with the Queen Mother. And she too has no respect for me. Leopold is clueless to her alliance with the Duke against me, but he has been working tirelessly to get her to approve of the pregnancy. But she will not change.

I will not let them rob me of my happiness. I am about to become a mother and produce an heir for Claria. Soon, I'll be untouchable.

~

"Is your dress tight, Your Majesty?" Mary-Beth asks as she's helping me dress for dinner.

"I cannot believe it, but yes. Mr. Gale made this dress just last week. How can I already be too big for it?"

"The baby is growing quickly," Mary-Beth smiles. "I am so happy for you, Your Majesty. Have you decided on a name if it's a girl? I remember you said if it was a boy you would name him after the king."

"To tell you the truth, I have been thinking about a different name for a boy, but I cannot come up with anything I really like."

"Edward?" Lenora suggests as her and Annalisa fold up the baby's new clothes and put them in the new trunk, a gift from my parents.

"Hm..." I hum. "No."

"George?" Annalisa teases.

"After my ex-husband? I think not."

"William?" Elaine asks.

"No." I shake my head.

"Would you like a more unique name?" Johanna asks.

"Augustus." Gwendolyn says quietly as she opens my perfume box for me.

I stare at her in shock. I am in awe of the name and her helpfulness. Here I thought she couldn't care less about me and my child. And she's in front of me giving me a name that I love. All my ladies are silent, waiting for me to respond. Even they know Gwendolyn has never been thrilled to be in my service.

"Augustus," I repeat. "I love it. Thank you."

"You might not even need it. It could be a girl." Gwendolyn murmurs.

"It doesn't matter. I will be happy either way." I smile.

"Your Majesty?" John appears in my doorway and bows.

"Yes, John?"

"His Majesty will be in his meeting for another hour. He asks if you would be alright pushing dinner back until he's finished. He sends his apologies."

"Yes, that is fine. Tell him there are no worries." I smile.

"And Miss Gwendolyn, your father requests that you wait in his office and do what he instructed yesterday? I trust you know what that means?" John looks confused.

"Yes, I do." Gwendolyn nods and looks at me for permission to leave. I give a curt nod and she leaves with John.

"I wonder what that was about." Johanna whispers to me as she sits beside me.