Chapter 15

"I'm here! And I brought the Duke of Crandall's gift." Princess Evangeline says cheerfully as she enters Leopold and I's room. She is carrying a wicker basket full of baby slippers and clothes that she hands to Francesca who is organizing the pile of presents on the table.

"You were with him I presume?" Leopold teases her.

"Just for a few moments." Evangeline blushes.

Leopold's sisters are here organizing all the gifts we've received since I became pregnant. I am nearing the end of my third month.

"Oh, the Sultan of Buran sent you a present." Evangeline gasps in awe as she picks up the jeweled rattle the sultan gave us.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I smile.

"Where's mother's gift?" She asks, looking around.

My smile immediately drops and Francesca glares at her sister, "Evangeline."

"Francesca, it is alright." Leopold says calmly. "Evangeline, if you have not noticed, Mother is not particularly happy with the pregnancy."

"I had no idea," She frowns. "She said nothing of the sort to me. Why does she not approve?"

"I do not know. Every time I try to discuss it with her she ignores me." Leopold sighs.

"I'm sorry." I murmur.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, my love. You did nothing wrong." Leopold kisses my forehead and rests a hand on my growing stomach.

"Our presents will make up for hers." Evangeline smiles. "We ordered you a bassinet. It should be here later this week."

"You've given us enough. The mobile, the blankets, and the clothes." I say.

"Siblings could follow," Francesca grins. "We want to make sure you have everything you need for the future as well."

Soon, Leopold leaves for a meeting with his treasurer and Gwendolyn comes to retrieve me for a dress fitting. I am having new clothes made to accommodate my pregnancy.

"How are you feeling, Your Majesty?" She asks me.

"Just fine, thank you." I reply snappily. I've made it my mission to say as little as I can to Gwendolyn. I can not give her anything to run to her father with.

Mr. Gale is waiting when I walk in, "Your Majesty, do you have any specific colors you'd like me to work with first?"

I smile, "Purple. For royalty."

~

"I will not accept this." I smile, shaking my head.

"You must accept it, Your Majesty. I made it for the future prince or princess." Elaine smiles as she hands me the little golden crown she made herself.

"This is so thoughtful, Elaine. Thank you. I am sure the child will love it." I hug her.

"Your Majesty?" Lenora says hastily as she appears in the doorway. "The Queen Mother is leaving her room."

I quickly hand the Elaine the crown and rush into the hallway. The Queen Mother is walking swiftly down the hall, one of her ladies behind her.

"Helena!" I call out to her. She stops abruptly, her shoulders rising and falling dramatically as if she's sighing. I look at the back of her head and remember when she was so kind to me, so warm. Now she doesn't hide how much she hates me. And I did nothing to her. The Duke got ahold of her and poisoned her mind against me. She turns and gives me her tight smile.

"Your Majesty." She walks towards me.

"Hello," I return her insincere smile. "I was just wondering when Leopold and I should expect your gift?"

She tilts her head in confusion, "Gift?"

"For your grandchild?" I put a hand on my stomach and show her as if she does not know I'm with child.

"Oh, yes. I am still looking for the perfect gift to give you. My first grandchild deserves the best, as you know."

"Yes, I know."

"Good day." She turns to walk off.

"Helena?"

"Yes, Your Majesty?"

"I've decided that I do want you to curtsy to me. I am the Queen of Claria after all."

She does not even try to hide her irritation as she squeezes out a pathetic curtsy and then she's on her way.

"That was cruel, Your Majesty." Lenora says with a smile as I come back into my room.

I laugh and take the crown from Elaine, putting it on my vanity, "I know."