Five

I go into my room and see Eleanora laying on my bed. She darts up as I close the door behind me.

"Where have you been?" She exclaims. "I woke up and you were gone. Did you go to see Sultan Zahid?"

"I accepted his proposal." I smile.

Eleanora jumps and squeals, "Georgiana, I am so happy for you. The sultan is the perfect man for you. I am sure he will treat you well." She hugs me.

"Thank you. Where is Father? Lets tell him together."

"He is in a meeting with the sultan's trade officials. Sit and tell me all about it." We sit on my bed and we talk about how happy Sultan Zahid was when I told him and about our kiss. We talk about the wedding and if we should send for the seamstress in Asnor who made our mother's wedding dress. Father comes to visit us after he returns from his meeting.

"Father," I smile. "I have decided to marry the sultan."

I am sure his eyes moisten right away, "Darling, that is excellent." He hugs me tightly.

"I will miss you both very much, but--"

Father draws back, "I understand."

"Are you sure you will be alright?" I murmur.

"I will miss you very much, of course. I do not want to let either of you go. We have been together for so many years." A stray tear falls down his face.

I wipe it away for him, "Do not despair, Father. I will visit you often and speaking as the future Sultana of Buran, you are both welcome here any time."

"And you will have me for many more years," Eleanora smiles. "Unless I find a sultan like Georgiana."

"You will find the man of your dreams. You are too terrific not to." I tell her.

Father gathers us in a hug and kisses both of our foreheads. "My daughters."

~

"Majesty." I curtsy, joining Sultan Zahid on his terrace. He turns in his chair and smiles, "Join me."

I walk across the shiny gold tile floor to the chair beside his. I sit and look out at the breathtaking view in front of me. The sun has just begun to set and the sky is a wonderful orange and yellow. The clouds surround the setting sun and the soft wind blowing just enough make this the perfect scene.

"I come here almost every evening," Sultan Zahid says. "I will never tire of this."

"Thank you for inviting me." I smile.

"Of course. Tea?" He picks up the golden teapot on the small table between us.

"Yes, please." He pours the tea into teacups decorated in blue and white mosaic tiles.

"These are beautiful." I say as I take sip. The jasmine tea soothes my throat.

"My mother gave them to me," He looks at his cup fondly before taking a sip. "My father gifted me the pot on the same day. Believe it or not, my mother was furious that they did not match."

I laugh, "Your mother sounds like she cares deeply for you."

"She did." Sultan Zahid nods.

"She has passed? I am so sorry." I whisper.

"Thank you."

"When did she pass away? If you do not mind me asking."

"She died a short while after my father did. At least she had the chance to see my coronation."

"I lost my mother too." I murmur. "When I was very young."

"That must of been awful for you." He says sympathetically.

"It was, but I try my best to keep her memory alive." I smile.

"When we're married I'll hang her picture next to my mother's. As is tradition. Would you like that?"

"I would." I nod.

"I will ask your father to choose it."

"Speaking of my father," I say excitedly. "I have told my family about our engagement."

"They were pleased?"

"Very much so."

"I have a meeting with your father tomorrow. I will discuss it with me afterwards. I would not want him to think I asked for your hand without speaking with him at all."

"He will appreciate that," I beam. "I suppose when Father's business is done I should go back to Asnor and pack my belongings."

"Georgiana, I am afraid you cannot go back to Asnor."

I frown at him, "Why not?"

"Forgive me, but in Buran once a woman accepts a proposal she cannot return to her homeland."

"I thought you said you did not care for these traditions?"

"I do not care for the silly tedious ones. But this is very important to me. Please understand." He pleads.

My fear of never seeing Asnor again has just gotten worse. I will truly never see my homeland again. I will never see the house I was raised in, the spacious backyard Eleanora and I used to play in so much. I will never see the lovely shops and the first tree I ever climbed.

"This is not a problem for you, is it?" Sultan Zahid asks.

"No," I whisper and look back at him. "It is not a problem at all."

Sultan Zahid beams and holds his hand our for mine. I take it and despite how I feel, I smile back.

"Oh, and I almost forgot my question for you. Would you mind at all if I called you Gigi? Georgiana is quite a mouthful." He smiles.

"You may call me Gigi." I laugh.

"Lovely."

I sip my tea and gaze at the sunset again.

"So," Sultan Zahid says. "About our wedding."