Chapter 14

So many people are speaking I can barely distinguish one voice from another. My eyes are closed. I can't seem to open them yet.

"Why is she not awake yet?" Lenora asks.

"She hit her head a bit. It will take her a few moments to collect herself." An unfamiliar male  voice answers.

"Someone should tell the king. He is expecting her for dinner." This comes from Johanna.

"I told John about the incident. The king should be on his way now." Elaine says.

"And you are sure the Queen will be alright?" Mary-Beth asks in concern.

Leopold's worried voice joins the others, along with his rapid footsteps. "What happened to my wife? Doctor, will she be alright?"

I hear two sets of footsteps move away from my bed. My eyes open slowly and the first thing I see is all my ladies leaning over me.

"Johanna?" My throat is dry. "What happened? Am I alright?"

"You are just fine. You hit your head, but not too hard. Mary-Beth tried her hardest to catch you." Johanna smiles.

"Thank you." I whisper to her.

"Of course, Your Majesty." Mary-Beth squeezes my hand. "I am just glad you are not hurt."

"Thank God you are awake. I was so worried when I heard." Leopold says as he rushes to my side and takes my hand.

"Did the physician tell you I fainted?" I ask.

"Yes. He was just about to tell me why." He helps me sit up.

"Your Majesties," The doctor bows as he joins us. "I am delighted to tell you that the Queen is with child."

My ladies all squeal and clap and jump around in celebration. Leopold and I look at each other in amazement, both of our mouths agape.

"Are you sure?" Leopold asks the physician.

"Yes, Your Majesty." He smiles.

"This is a dream come true." I whisper, putting my hand to my stomach.

"We'll leave you alone." Johanna beckons everyone out and closes the door behind her.

"I'm pregnant." I say in awe.

"My love," Leopold cups my face and kisses me. "This is the happiest I have ever been."

"I must write my parents."

"Tomorrow, sweetheart. You need your rest." He kisses my forehead.

"Please stay." I tell him and he lays with me, wrapping his arms securely around me.

"I love you, Cecelia." He whispers in my ear.

"I love you more, Leopold."

~

"If your nausea continues, you should eat lots of ginger tea and crackers. My mother swears by it." Annalisa tells me as we all sit in front of the fire and do needlepoint.

"Ginger tea with lemon. That helps as well." Lenora adds.

"Have you given any thought to what you want to name the baby?" This surprisingly comes from Gwendolyn. I remember Johanna's advice and almost do not want to answer the question. Johanna gives me a wary glance.

"I have not thought about it." I tell Gwendolyn.

"Does His Majesty want a boy or a girl?" Elaine asks.

"We have not talked about it. But all men want sons, do they not?" I smile. "Either way I will be happy. I just want my child to be healthy."

My happiness is immeasurable. I still cannot believe I am carrying this child, a life that Leopold and I created together. I have always wanted to be a mother. When George and I were married I would see mothers running after their children in town, holding their hands as they skipped along, and bundling up their babies against the cold. I longed to be like them, to have a child of my own. But that was not possible with George. Now all my dreams have come true. I am going to be a mother.

Later, Leopold comes to my room for dinner and brings the Duke.

"Not to worry, I am not dining with you." Dominic tells me with his interpretation of a friendly smile. "I simply came to wish my queen well." He bows with no hesitation.

"Thank you, Your Grace. I appreciate that." I smile, glancing at Leopold.

"I see that you are in good spirits." The Duke says as he cuts his eyes off to the side. I look in that direction and see Gwendolyn hastily return to her task of setting the table. She has told him I am pregnant. Leopold told me yesterday that he will make an announcement to his council next week. He said that was the best possible way to announce the pregnancy because the councilmen will tell their wives and women are such gossips that the news will reach the entire court before the day's end. But Gwendolyn has told her father and he will no doubt be more hostile towards me because of it. Him and the Queen Mother.

"Yes, I am." I tell the Duke.

"Enjoy your dinner." He bows to Leopold and I, my ladies curtsy, and they all leave.

"You spoke with him?" I ask Leopold as we sit.

"Yes. I told him I noticed some inappropriate behavior on his part and he immediately apologized and promised to be more mindful of the way he treats you."

"Thank you, my love." I kiss him.

"Of course. I will not allow anything or anyone to put stress on you or our child. Not even Dominic."

"Nothing has changed between you, has it?" I ask fearfully. "I would hate to be the reason if your friendship was ruined."

"Our friendship is just fine, Cecelia. Do not worry." Leopold smiles.

Even though the Duke has little respect for me, I know how much he means to my husband. I know if I really spoke up it would crush Leopold and he would lose his dearest friend. I am not that cruel. And if I was to tell him about his mother? I couldn't even imagine.

"What should we name our child?" I ask Leopold with a smile. "Something unique, I hope."

"If it is a boy, we must name him Leopold the third. I promised my father I would pass on his name."

"I would not mind that. I love your name. But I am curious as to what would happen if we had a daughter."

"Curious?"

"Is our firstborn your heir? Or the first boy?"

"Our first born. Whatever our first child may be, they will be my heir."

"So a queen could follow you?" I smile.

"Absolutely."

The idea of a queen sitting on Claria's throne in her own right is spectacular to me. And the possibility she could be my daughter? Even better.