Chapter 13

"I have come to retrieve my daughter, if that would not be too much trouble." The Duke of Norden sighs as he stands before me.

"Of course not. Please take your daughter. Will she back to help me dress for dinner?" I do not look up from my needlepoint.

"Yes."

The Duke and Gwendolyn start for the door, both without bowing or curtsying to me. I sigh as they leave and continue my needlepoint.

"That was quite rude." Mary-Beth whispers to me from her spot on the rug in front of the fire.

"I agree." I put down my needlepoint. "Let's all take a walk in the garden. Tell the girls we're going."

Mary-Beth goes to tell the ladies and I stand to slip on my shoes. The room spins around me so quickly I grab onto the arm of my chair to steady myself. I blink to a readjust my sight. I take a deep breath and exhale, realizing how lightheaded I am.

"Your Majesty?" Elaine and Lenora are suddenly on both sides of me and holding me up.

"I'm fine," I assure them. "I am okay. Just a little dizzy."

"Would you rather stay here and rest, Your Majesty?" Lenora asks me.

"No, let's go to the gardens. I am alright." I give them a smile. I put on my shoes and follow my ladies out. I wonder what brought that on?

~

Johanna walks beside me during our stroll in the garden. I tell her how the Duke's behavior is troubling me and how he and Gwendolyn have joined forces with Helena to do I don't know what.

"We must be mindful about what we say in front of her." Johanna whispers.

"But, Johanna," I sneak a quick glance behind us at Gwendolyn walking with Elaine and Annalisa. "That is what I do not understand. Nothing interesting happens with me. What can she possibly be telling them? What I ate for breakfast?"

"Your marriage to George," Johanna squeezes my arm. "He said you were not a virgin when you were wed. They could use that to ruin your reputation."

"I have already told Leopold about George and I. So they have absolutely nothing."

We walk until it's time for me to have lunch with my parents. They leave with promises to come again very soon. After they go, I visit Leopold. We lay in bed and he holds me. 

"You should start sleeping here with me. I'm sorry I did not mention that earlier. I have been busy catching up with business."

"Alright. May I keep my room?"

"Of course. But I really would like you to sleep here with me. You are my wife after all."

With the mention of that, my mind immediately goes to the Duke. I am the king's wife. I am owed respect, even from the Duke.

"Leopold?" I murmur.

"Yes, my love?"

"Dominic...is troubling me."

"How so?"

"He is a tad disrespectful at times. For example, he came into my room today and did not bow when he left. And I feel that when he speaks to me he wishes to hurt my feelings."

"Oh," Leopold is taken aback. "Is that so? I will have to have a word with him. Disrespect of any kind is unacceptable."

"Please do not be angry with him. I do not want to cause any problems between the two of you. I know he is your dearest friend."

"He is, but our friendship does not give him permission to disrespect his queen."

We spend a few more hours together and then Leopold has to meet with Secretary Alston. As I am walking back to my room, I pass the Queen Mother.

"Your Majesty." She stops and gives the stingiest of curtsies.

"Helena, you do not have to bow to me." Maybe if I'm kind to her she'll stop the treachery against me.

"How kind of you." She says dryly.

"Have a good day." I smile at her.

"I hope I still can." She gives me a tight smile before swishing down the hall to her room.

I take a deep breathe to calm myself down and go to my room. Johanna has prepared mini custard pies, my favorite pastry. These are chocolate with blackberries on top. I sit at my small table, ready to enjoy them. I smell the chocolate and my stomach surprisingly starts to turn. I stare down at them, the shiny chocolate surrounded by the pastry shell with the perfect blackberries on top, and I'm suddenly disgusted. I'm immediately confused because regularly I cannot eat enough of these. My stomach churns painfully and I begin to feel lightheaded.

"Your Majesty?" Mary-Beth says with concern.

I sway, stumbling to the side before my eyes roll back in my head and I fall to the ground. The last thing I hear is my ladies screaming.