Chapter 10

"One of my ladies, Lenora to be exact, did something very peculiar yesterday."

"Oh? And what did she do?"

"She told me I could not reach for items myself. They said you instructed them to do that. Is that true, Leopold?" I smile.

"Yes," He smiles back. "Queens do not reach for things themselves."

"But I am not a queen."

"But you will be."

"That means you intend to marry me." I murmur, my gaze in my lap as I nervously fiddle with my napkin. My heart is going so fast it's a hum in my ears. I cannot believe I am so happy that it makes me nervous.

"I do attend to marry you." Leopold nods.

"But to marry me," I speak slowly. "You would have to love me. Do you love me, Leopold?" I force myself to lift my head and look at him.

"I do love you, Cecelia."

I smile wide, "I love you, Leopold."

"Eat." He says fondly.

"But," I rub my finger over my ruby necklace. "Telling me you intend to marry me ruins the proposal, does it not?"

"I suppose it does, Your Grace." Leopold smiles. "So I'll propose now, then. But I'm without a ring. John?"

John enters with his hands behind his back. He bows to the king and brings his arms around to reveal a small velvet box.

"Thank you, John." Leopold takes it from him.

John quickly glances at me and winks before leaving.  Leopold stands and walks over to me. He holds out his hand for mine. I take it and he helps me to standing. He kneels  and opens the ring box to display a breathtaking sapphire and diamond ring.

The feel of a tear against my cheek surprises me

The feel of a tear against my cheek surprises me. I am crying and Leopold hasn't even asked me to marry him yet. I look at his handsome face and bright smile and my heart sings.

"Cecelia," Leopold says. "Will you be my queen?"

"Yes." I beam as I hold out my hand. Leopold delicately places the ring on my finger and kisses my hand.

"Leopold, thank you." Tears begin to stream down my cheeks.

"Why are you crying, my love? Do you not like the ring? I can find another one for you. Any kind in the world you desire." Leopold stands.

"I love the ring. It is...stunning. I am just so overjoyed. I have never been this happy in my whole life."

"Neither have I. My beautiful queen." He takes my face in his hands.

"I am not a queen yet." I remind him.

"It is simply a title to confirm what is already known. You are queen in every sense of the word. Beautiful, elegant, kind, and gracious. And you love me. Not the jewels and the palace and the attention. You are my gem, Cecelia. I love you."