Six

My family tried their best not to be disappointed that I would not be returning home at all. Father concludes his trade business with Sultan Zahid. He tells me he and my father discuss our marriage sometimes more than the trade deal they just agreed upon. I am spending as much time with them as possible before they have to go and Zahid understands. Eleanora and I read his second poetry book together and we discuss the traditional Buranian wedding the sultan explained to me. An hour before the wedding ladies of the court (that the bride does not know) paint symbols on the bride's hands with special paint reserved for married women, such as flowers and certain lines and dots. This paint dries very quickly and when it does, the bride is escorted by the same ladies to the marriage chamber. The future husband is waiting when she arrives and they kneel in front of an official called a Hasiram. Zahid says the Hasiram who will marry us is the same man who married his parents. A prayer is recited by the couple, the Hasiram blesses the union, and the couple kisses the ground because the marriage chamber is a sacred place.

"I wish my family could stay," I say to Zahid while we are spending time in his room. "I would hate for them to miss our wedding."

"They don't have to miss it. Your father can even escort you to the marriage chamber."

"I thought you said other women had to do that?" I cross the room barefoot for more tea.

"But your father could if you would prefer it. That is not against tradition." Zahid sits on a couch in his large seating area. "There is a screen your family can watch behind."

"Really? It will not be a problem?"

"Not at all." He smiles.

"Thank you." I join him on the couch and give him a kiss.

"Of course, Gigi. I understand how much your family means to you."

I secretly wish we were having a traditional wedding with invitations, a church, and the planning. In Asnor, women plan their weddings for months, sometimes years. There are so many decisions to be made. The flowers, the bridesmaid's dresses, the attendance, and the color choices. If Zahid and I were having that kind of wedding Eleanora and father could stay for so much longer. But Zahid is important to me as well. I want to marry him and see where our future takes us. I want to wake up beside him and discover new things about him every day, find another reason to fall in love with him every day.

"Let's see if I've forgotten any other details," He hums. "Oh, I remember now. You must wear an orange dress to our wedding."

"May I ask why?"

He smiles before kissing me once again, "It is the color of the dynasty, Your Majesty."

When it gets to be too late, we say goodnight and I go back to my room where Eleanora is again waiting for me. I lay on my bed beside her. We're silent for a moment until she exhales heavily and looks at me longingly. She takes my hand and holds onto it tight.

"I am going to miss you so much, Georgiana." She whispers. "I do not know how I will manage at home without you. You are my best friend."

"I will miss you more than you will ever know. I wish so much that we did not have to be apart from one another, but you can visit as often as you please."

"Would every month be too much of a bother?" She smiles.

"Absolutely not." I smile back. 

"At least Father and I will be able to attend your wedding. Which is in a few days. Are you nervous?"

"About the marriage itself, no. The only part I am truly worried about is saying the prayer in the marriage chamber. Zahid says he will teach it to me tomorrow."