Fourteen

I am praying on the rug on my floor when Eleanora bursts in, almost breaking the hinges off my old door. I am so frightened I jump and fall into my side.

"Eleanora!" I exclaim. "What is—"

"You must come outside. This instant." She says breathlessly.

"What is going on?" I have never seen her so flustered.

"Come with me!" She grabs my hand and all but yanks me to my feet. She drags me through the house so quickly I almost fall down the stairs. She throws open the front door carelessly to reveal Father speaking to Zahid at the end of the stone path of our house.

I am so surprised to see him I convince myself for a few moments that I am imagining him, an illusion or some kind of wishful sight. Zahid glances over at me, mindlessly nodding along to Father's words.

"You must speak to him now. He traveled all this way here for you." Eleanora murmurs in my ear.

"I know that." I whisper back harshly.

"Go to him." She gently nudges me forward.

I pick up my dress and begin to walk over. My heart feels as though it is a rock in my stomach. What will I say first? There is so much for us to discuss.

"Father," I place my hand on his shoulder as I approach them. "May I speak to my husband in private?"

"Of course." He kisses my forehead before bowing to Zahid and going back inside with Eleanora.

Zahid smiles at me, but it does not reach his eyes. He is devastated.

"You did not have to come to Asnor." I keep my eyes on the purple flowers on the edge of our yard.

"How could I stay in Buran without you?" He steps closer. "You are my wife, we should be together."

"I would very much like that, but—did you read my letter?"

"Countless times, my love, but your letter does not replace you or give me comfort in your absence. I was very hurt when I woke up and you were nowhere to be found."

"I am very, very sorry. I did not wish to hurt you. But...I could not stay. You know that well."

Zahid nods, "Adjusting is difficult. The pressure was immense, I understand. Return home with me and I promise on my honor that it will different. I began thinking after I sent my letter. I do not care about the traditions, customs, and rules. You may dance at every party, eat before everyone else, and wear as little or as much orange as you please. I was foolish to place those silly things above your happiness."

I want to fall to my knees and cry out in sorrow, because I know he truly does care. Of course he would, he has been surrounded by these traditions and rules his entire life. And he is willing to throw them away for me. He should not have to do that, not for me. As much as I wished for him to say these exact words, I realize that would be selfish of me.

"No," I say sternly. "That would not be fair to you."

Zahid huffs stubbornly and frowns at me, "What have I done to make you fall so out of love with me?"

"I love you with all my heart." I take his hand. "Please do not doubt that, my love. This is all my fault. I do not deserve to return to Buran with you."

"But you must. You are my Sultana. We cannot live apart when we are married. Do you expect me to continue as if you do not exist?"

He is right. How on Earth can I expect him to carry on without me beside him? Is he supposed to rule Buran with his wife and fellow ruler in another kingdom? I close my eyes and exhale loudly before tenderly cupping his face and giving him a kiss. When I pull away, I feel Zahid grip my arms in his hands tightly.

"Please, Georgiana." He whispers brokenly. "I will not leave without you."

"One day you will see why it has to be this way." I whisper back. "Thank you for coming. I have missed you. But do not worry. We are fine."

"We? You mean your father and sister?" He is confused.

I shake my head, "I am...with child."

Zahid's mouth falls open, his eyes widening. His grip on my arms grows tighter, "Georgiana, you cannot expect to stay here when you are carrying our child. Our heir."

"I have to." I shake my head.

"This is madness." He refuses to let go of me. "You are coming with me this very moment. Not only are you my wife, you are the mother of my child."

"Zahid, my love, please let go of me." I struggle against him slightly.

"No." He has a mad look in his eyes, like a wild animal backed into a corner.

I do not want to have to start fighting him, but I have no choice. I wiggle my arms to loosen his grip, but it only becomes more iron-clad. He is beginning to hurt me. I feel bruises forming on my skin.

"My love, please do not act this way." I whimper helplessly.

"How should I act, Georgiana?" He stares at me, his eyes ablaze.

I take a deep breath and truly look at my husband. His mouth is set in a hard line and his eyes are quickly filling with tears.

"I am very sorry," I whisper. "I need time to think about what I should do. Will you please give me that?"

"I will give you time, but only if you swear to me that you will return home. Soon." Zahid says, his voice wavering.

I nod hesitantly, "I swear to you, my love."

He slowly releases my arms and seems to realize his frightening behavior towards me. "I am sorry I acted in such a way. I miss you so much, my love. I cannot eat or sleep or do anything."

I kiss his cheek and step back before curtsying to him, "I will see you soon, Your Majesty. Thank you for coming all this way for me. I love you very much."

I turn and walk towards the door, forcing myself not to look back at my husband as I close the door and collapse on the floor in sorrow.