Chapter 4

I have a frenzied conversation with Johanna and Albert before they leave.

"We go to join the dance and the next time we see you, you're dancing with the king of Claria?" She exclaims. "And now he's asking you to stay. How did this happen?"

"He approached me. Otherwise I'd be going home with you. I suppose I amuse him in some way if he wants me to stay."

"The king is taken with you, Cecelia. Do you honestly not see that?" Albert says gently.

"I do not see that," I say stubbornly. "Because it is not true. I'm sure the king wishes to have a friendship with me. That is all."

"He could of approached one of the hundreds of women here tonight," Johanna says. "But he spoke to you, Cecelia."

"He is a king. He cannot possibly be interested in me the way you are insinuating. I refuse to encourage this fantasy. It'll only lead to heartbreak." I cross my arms.

"King or not," Johanna murmurs. "He is still a man. And he has seen you for the wonderful woman you are."

~

One of King Leopold's servants, John, escorts me down a candle lit corridor. We pass by other servants cleaning the floors and tables and portraits of other monarchs of Claria.

"Here we are, madam." He stops at a door at the end of the corridor, comfortably placed in a corner. He opens the door and I step into a beautiful room. The bed, the chest of drawers, the chairs, and the curtains are powder blue. The room is bigger than the entire lower level of parents' home.

"Do you not like it, Miss Cecelia?" John asks me.

"It is very nice. Thank you." I say in awe.

"Your chests are by the bed," John informs me. "His Majesty has invited you to dine with him tomorrow evening at six. I will escort you myself. Goodnight, Miss Cecelia."

"Wait," I say anxiously.

"Yes?"

"Before I have dinner with His Majesty...what am I to do all day?"

"You are welcome to visit Princess Francesca and Princess Evangeline and the king has arranged a surprise for you tomorrow afternoon."

"A surprise?" I smile.

"Yes, Madam. Will you require anything else?"

"No, thank you." John leaves.

I look around my room for the night. The blue scattered about the room is the prettiest shade I have ever seen. As I run my hand along the chest of drawers, I wish I could stay here for more than one night. Especially because I am seeing the king tomorrow. Excitement rushes through me at the thought of seeing his face once again, those breathtaking green eyes.

I force myself to think of something else before I begin to fantasize about the king and I. A king would never entertain the idea of caring for a woman so low, like me. Even though he invited me to stay, I cannot help but think his intention is simply for us to be friends. Good friends.

~

John escorts me to Princess Francesca's room the next morning. He announces me and I feel far too important as I walk in. The princess is seated on a beautiful floral yellow couch, rising as I enter.