e l e v e n

February 15th 2017
Avengers Compound - Tonys Lab

"Rogers said he's the leader of the Avengers?" Ember questioned.

She rested her elbow on Tonys desk, her head in her hands — Hiding in the lab to avoid anymore confrontations with Steve Rogers.

"He gets that title on a technicality." Tony groaned.

"Which is?"

"He's a professional soldier. I just, pay for everything, and design everything, and make everyone look cool. He is the soldier in our big dysfunctional family."

"Yeah, family." She scoffed.

"You don't wanna be part of our happy family, Rose?"

"Can't I just be the cool wine aunt?"

"You don't wanna be the daughter everyone is jealous of?"

"Does that mean I get inheritance?" She joked.

"Yup." He replied, popping the 'p' his phrase completely serious.

She thought the conversation was a bit awkward, so she changed it.

"I wish you were the head of the Avengers, so you could kick him out. I hate him."

"Who?" He asked, not looking up from the suit he was fixing from after the mission, "Rogers?"

She nodded.

"You were in here the other day drooling over him, what happened?"

"Well nothing happened, I've always disliked him — But he's getting worse as the days go by. The more time I spend with him the more... Hostile and worked up he gets. And a cute agent was talking to me and he went all 'I'm Captain America please fuck off' on him and the cute agent got scared and left."

"I think all the flirting is getting to Rogers head, Em. Maybe—"

"Steve called me that once, 'Em', when he wasn't being a complete jerk."

"Maybe just talk to him— I don't know. Hug it our or some shit."

"You're very optimistic, Tony."

"I'm normally not very optimistic. But I like you, kid. And I don't want one of Rogers grumpy old man moods to scare you away. I think his age is finally catching up to him."

Ember laughed, sometimes spending time with Tony was the only time she felt calm in the compound.

"So I was thinking." Tony said, after a while of the two sitting in contentment.

Ember had found a pair of Tonys headphones and was listening to AC/DC, curtesy of Tony, and Stark was just working on some other gadgets he had left unfinished.

"You're always thinking, you're like... The smartest guy on the planet." She said, taking out one of the earphones to hear him talk.

"No I was thinking of you, specifically."

"How nice of you." She mocked.

Tony dropped the gadget he was working on and spun around on his chair to face her.

"We all need to know more about you, and your powers. The reason we brought you here."

"I thought you brought me here to be an Avenger."

"Well — Technically we only came to find you because we thought you were a threat."

"Yeah, a threat if I'm not on the team, right?"