Kim Chaehyun | The First Snow

The first snow by EXO will always be the go to song I listen to every December. (Or just when I want to give it a listen)
________

Oh boy... I hope all these couples would just explode.

You were taking a walk around your neighborhood, passing by the couples who were unconsciously teasing you who were alone in the midst of them. They would link arms, rest their head on their loved ones shoulders, basically displaying public intimacy making those who're single, suffer in this fine Christmas Eve.

No matter where you look, there would always be at least 1 couple who's having the time of their lives with their significant other. You hoped that you'd eventually walk away from the lovey-dovey atmosphere.

You eventually ended up at a nearby mall, went inside, and were greeted with, well, more couples.

Looks like I made a mistake by going here.

Even though you were walking with no destination, it was no mere coincidence that you ended up at this specific place. Something about your past lured you into going to one of the most populated places.

Your mind directed you towards the mall's garden, where they had already prepared a christmas tree for decoration. You walked up, and noticed something about it that piqued your interest.

"Oh... they... they're using the same tree." The tree they were using was the one that they used last christmas. You knew it was because of a little mark you made with someone when no one else paid attention. It was a heart, with your name, and a girl's name written on it.

You felt yourself becoming dejected after being reminded of the past. Then again, you're in this position due to your own foolishness. The mistake you made one year ago, a few days after Christmas.

______

Flashback

It was the day after Christmas, and you decided to go on a date with your girlfriend, about to break the news she might not want to hear, especially after a special day.

"Aww, Oppa! You're wearing the scarf I gave you!" Chaehyun squealed in joy, happy that you were wearing the gift she gave to you a few days prior.

"Yeah. Thanks for the scarf." You replied half-heartedly, feeling guilty of what's to come. You were a week away from travelling abroad and trying your luck with the work that's been offered to you by a relative.

"Ch-chaehyun-ah. Listen. I have something to tell you." You said to her, as your heart thumped faster.

"What is it? And why do you look so serious?" She said, chuckling mid-sentence. You took a deep breath, bracing yourself for whatever response she might give.

"I... I'll have to go abroad for work. A relative of mine referred me to their place, and told me that it would be a great opportunity for me to work there."

"Oh." There was a hint of disappointment in her voice, yet it doesn't seem to be that way from her face. "A-are we going to-"

"I don't think it's a good thing for us to have a long distance relationship. Perhaps you should move on and look for a better opportunity out there."

"...are you saying that we should break up?" You nodded.

"B-but can't we at least try and see how it goes from there? Oppa I don't want us to part this way."

"I'm sorry, Chaehyun-ah. I really am." Silence follows after you give her a reply, without even explaining things to her.

"Nothing I say will make you reconsider your decision, will it?" You hung your head low, being too embarrassed to look her in the eye and give a response. You could only