Nakamura Kazuha | Been a while VI

The dim light from Y/N's apartment cast a soft glow as the two friends sat in silence, the clicks of the game controller providing a comforting back sound. The familiar chimes of the Kart game theme echoed through the room, a playful counterpoint to the unspoken tension.

"Ya! How dare you use the banana peel on me?!" He complained, having slipped down the ranks as Kazuha maneuvered into first place.

"Skill issue," she replied, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

His laughter filled the room, temporarily dispelling the heaviness that hung in the air. As the last lap approached, a determined look crossed his face, revenge was on his mind.

Kazuha glanced at him, her eyes searching for something unsaid. The room seemed to shrink, suffocating both of them with the weight of unspoken words.

Unbeknownst to her, he would also steal glances at her, thinking of whether he should tell her of the lingering feelings in him.

The game finally came to an end, his stomach rumbling in protest. Breaking the silence, he suggested ordering comfort food from a local restaurant. After selecting their dishes, they went for one more round of the game.

The aroma of familiar dishes filled the apartment, but the air between them remained unchanged. Memories from their high school days resurfaced, and Kazuha decided to break the silence.

"Y/N, do you remember our last day of high school?"
He nodded, his eyes distant as he recalled that poignant day. "Yeah, we promised to stay in touch, but life happened, and we drifted apart."

She looked at him, a mixture of nostalgia and sadness in her eyes. "It's strange how life turns out. We used to be inseparable, and now we're here, facing the reality of our separate paths."

He sighed, setting down his chopsticks as he met her gaze, as if preparing to share something profound.
Her gaze intensified, searching for more in his words. "Y/N. These past few meetings, I-"

Just then, a ring echoed throughout the room, interrupting the moment. Y/N, looking relieved, got up and headed for the door.

In the silence that followed, Kazuha reflected, remembering Chaewon's advice not to confess hastily.
As he answered the door, a mutual friend, Chaewon, appeared. "Hello, Zuha-ya~. Hope I'm not interrupting anything. I just got bored and decided that I'd drop him a visit."

"Oh." Kazuha giggled. "Looks like this isn't your first time coming here."

"I came a few times with Yunjin, of course. Anyways, you seem to be enjoying your meal. Can I play on your console instead?"

"Yeah, sure. You two can play after we're done eating. I'm gonna take a quick shower once I finish my meal." Both Kazuha and Y/N continued to eat, engaging in small talk with him before he left the two.

"Looks like I wasn't too late, Zuha-ya." Chaewon remarked, though she had arrived due to Kazuha's request. The fact that they were left alone, with feelings untold made Kazuha fear that her words might slip, hence Chaewon's arrival.

"You were almost~ late. I was about to-"

"Wow. Really? Now I'm curious. Should I leave then?"
"No! Please, stay." Kazuha hugged Chaewon's arm, preventing her from leaving.

"Alright~. Anyways, you haven't told him about 'that,' have you?" Kazuha shook her head, implying she hadn't.

"I see. Just make sure that you convey it to him properly, okay?"

She nodded, and shifted their focus to the game playing in front of them.