Chapter 14

Song=Shine a light-Banners

Harry

My eyes were on the road.

Steps placed in a steady rhythm on the red rubber were the only sound I could hear.

I breathed heavily and sped up.

I didn't register what place I was ranking. I might as well have been last as well as first. My eyes were only locked on the lane before me. Adrenaline pulsed through me as I passed the first 100 meters. My lungs screamed and begged me to stop but I kept speeding up. I felt my heart pound 3 times for each step I took as the aching pain in the side of my stomach started to appear.

I betrayed myself and risked a glance back. There were 5 other contestants behind me. We were 20 in total.

I spotted Malfoy a couple of meters in front of me. He grinned widely, even though he struggled to breathe. I closed my eyes and focused on my legs. All I had to focus on was moving my feet.

I thought of the first time Dudley had chased me through Privet Drive. I'd been cleaning up in the living room when I'd accidentally pushed one of his toy cars on the floor and it broke. Dudley noticed it immediately and I had to run faster than a gazelle to get away alive. I remember how my veins screamed and pulsed as I kept running and running. Dudley had been far behind me, but I knew he'd catch me if I hesitated as much as a second.

I opened my eyes again. This time I pushed every ounce in my body. I believed I ran faster than all the times Dudley has chased me combined. At least that was what it felt like as I started passing other contestants.

I overtook Slytherin after Slytherin. Gryffindor after Gryffindor. Memories of Dudley's flaming eyes locked on me as he struck me flashed before my eyes. The memory of the bruises that once covered my body appeared in my mind unintentionally. But this wasn't about Dudley. I wasn't doing this for Dudley. I was doing it for me. I wanted to win. I wanted to prove to myself that I was more than just rumors. That other people did not get to define me. I did. I wanted my name to be known as something else than the boy whose parents were killed. So the pain bursting through my limbs was for me. Not Dudley. Not Malfoy. Not Ron or Hermione. Me.

These were all the things running through my head as I passed 300 meters. I was surprised to find all the other contestants running far behind me. Including Malfoy.

He didn't look pleased and I had to suppress a laugh.

"Yeah! Go, Harry!"

I turned my head though it cost me a couple of breaths. A couple of Gryffindors were cheering from the bleachers sitting on the edge of their seats, their hands raised in bare excitement. I saw Ron, not exactly sharing the excitement, but rather disappointment gleaming in his eyes.

I felt the urge to slow down. I felt nausea and my heart pounded too fast. I knew I could stop if I wanted to. But that was just it. I didn't want to. I wanted this. Even though I made a deal with Professor Maggs. I knew I wanted this.

So I didn't stop. I didn't slow down.

30 meters and I'd reach the finish line.

I paced the last few meters with all that my lungs and muscles could handle. I fell to the ground in exhaustion. The little white line lay a couple of feet behind me. I grinned.

I'd done it. I'd won.

Half out of breath Malfoy stumbled behind the line a couple of seconds after Justin Finch-Fletchley. He looked far from happy. I gave him my best smile and he scowled in response.