Chapter 60

Song=Learn to let go- St. Lundi

Harry

I'd felt everything shut down for a moment. My heart, my thoughts, my vision. And then I'd snapped right back into reality, just like that.

Tears stung behind my eyes, but I refused to let them fall, as Draco's words still echoed in the back of my head.

Hermione walked beside me as we entered Professor Lupin's class. I don't know how I found a seat, but suddenly I was sitting down.

My head was spinning. Light shone too sharp through the windows, blurring my vision. People were silent around me. Way too silent. So were my thoughts.

I felt multiple gazes plastered onto my neck. Feeling them creep around me, analyzing my every movement.

My breathing tightened and I felt a warm hand on mine. I looked up and met Cedric's calm eyes.

"Are you okay?" he whispered. The world suddenly started again. I forced a smile and nodded at the ground, then looked away.

"It's him, isn't it?"

I let him meet my eyes, sure that he was able to read every thought going through my head. I allowed myself to breathe again as I gently pinched the skin on my hand with my fingers.

I didn't answer.

Suddenly, Professor Lupin stumbled through the door, his loose shirt waiving as he passed us. He let his mess float out on his desk, not even bothering to organize it. He kept standing with a waiting look on his face as the class slowly became quiet.

"Good morning wonderful people," he said. "You all look like you've just seen a dementor."

"A what?" someone asked behind me.

"A demen- Oh, you don't mean to tell me all of your parents have failed so greatly?"

There was no response.

"Well, I guess you can say it's a very ugly-looking guard, with extremely bad fashion taste," Lupin laughed. The rest of the class still remained quiet. Lupin shut up and fumbled with his papers on the desk. "I believe I have a picture right..."

He picked up a picture floating within his papers and showed it to class. It was a dark painting with a dark shadow swept in black clothes, its face hidden behind a big hood. In front of it, it had long, thin fingers reaching for something beyond the photo.

Weird comments were thrown around the class and Professor Lupin quickly packed the photo away and carried on.

"I guess you can say it's also quite inspirational-"

The door opened behind us, and heavy steps sounded on the floor as someone entered.

"Good morning Mr. Malfoy, I'm glad you decided to join us."

Without sparing any of us a gaze, he found a seat furthest back in the room. I refused to look at him. Heat rushed to my cheeks, and a lump grew in my throat.

"Before you so kindly interrupted, I was just saying, that dementors could actually also be quite inspirational because they're so often associated with the darkness's connection to the soul."

"Why?" someone asked.

"Well, the dementors are said to be guarding something very dangerous, and they feed on souls, by placing only an icy kiss on humans. And once a human is without a soul, it's really just an empty shell. In that way, a dementor can refer to a lot of things."

I looked at the ground.

I could feel Draco's eyes on me.

"What I want you to do for this lesson, is to think about how the dementor effect could be reflected in your everyday lives."