Chapter 71

(CHAPTER NOT EDITED)

Harry

I had lain in bed all morning, doing absolutely nothing.

My phone was facing downwards, and helping me ignore Hermione and Ron's long messages.

I looked around the room. I still couldn't believe that this was my life now. So many things had happened over the past couple of months.

I lived here now.

I'd gotten friends. Real friends.

Draco...

I instantly pushed his name out of my head again and continued the inspection of my surroundings.

My old room was about as naked as an oak tree in mid-winter. In the right corner closest to the door, a small bed stood with a wooden drawer next to it. Against the opposite wall an ugly, old desk stood with a matching chair. The only light in the room was a tiny white lamp that stood in the drawer. It glowed very weakly, but it was enough to see where you were going.

Another message sounded on my phone. I had no idea what the time was. I glanced outside the window and saw darkness had started lurking on the horizon.

My phone started to buzz again. It was Hermione calling for the 8th time today. I knew she wouldn't stop calling me until I picked up. I took a deep breath and pressed the answer button. I pressed his eyelids down and waited.

"He's alive!" Hermione grinned from the other end.

I chuckled half-heartedly.

"Yeah... Sorry about that," I muttered.

"I tell you, if you'd ignored my calls one more time, I would have come over there and murdered you myself." Hermione's shrill voice resounded through the phone and into his ear.

"I've just been really tired," I lied, hoping she would just let it slight.

"You are many things, Harry, but a great liar is not one of them?"

I exhaled.

"Will you please stop that Ron!" Hermione half-laughed and yelled through the phone.

"Ron's with you?"

Hermione answered a bit irritatedly, "Yeah, we're both your friends, remember? " I heard Hermione pinch Ron followed by an "Ouch!"

"We decided to get ready a bit earlier together. But since you didn't pick up we didn't have a chance to ask if you'd wanna come."

"I'm gonna put you on speaker so you can talk to both of us, okay?"

"Alright," I answered.

"How are you feeling Harry?"

Like shit! Like a stupid shit who doesn't think twice.

I didn't know how to answer. Didn't even know if I was quite sure myself.

The silence had built a heavy wall between us and I chose just not to answer at all. I heard Ron and Hermione murmuring in the background again.

"Look, we know you're upset about Malfoy. Trust me, I've been wanting to rip that boy's throat out all week," Hermione said aloud.

I remained silent again. My eyes began to sting. Once again they took my silence for an answer.

"And we know you blame yourself even though there isn't any reason for it, Harry."

They're wrong. It was my own fault. I trusted the only person people had told me not to. Out of all the people at school, I had chosen to trust the most obvious person that would fool me.