Chapter 30

Day 2 of camp

Song= Tortured soul- Chord Overstreet

Harry

After searching through the woods in what had seemed like an eternity, I finally settled in a place that seemed decent. The sky had started to slightly grow darker, which made setting up the tent a bloody battle. But after bending my body every way imaginable the tent finally gave in and I managed to make it stand straight.

Stupid tent, I stared at it.

Through sealing branches clustered closely together, I began my stroll back to the Camp Circle, the sky hanging above me in a rather dark color- like the bottom of the ocean.

Light began flickering between the trees, and glows from bonfires warmed my face. I spotted Ron between the flames and quickly sat down beside him on the bench. Not long after Hermione joined us, a slight smile tugging her lips.

She'd gotten us plates of food, but it would be a shame to say it looked edible.

I looked at my lukewarm soup, floating with vegetables as if they wanted to escape too. I let it run down my throat and my friends followed quickly after. Hermione told us about her new friend as Ron and I slowly put the soup away.

Neither of us stayed for long, the tiredness tugging our eyes, making the world seem slow as flames danced around us.

A lot of students had already disappeared into the woods and we decided to follow their example. I said my goodbyes to Ron and Hermione and suddenly I was alone in the woods again.

The tent was awfully quiet. Well yes, of course, there were sounds of branches scratching against the tent and trees swaying in the wind. But the complete darkness made all that seem so extremely quiet.

I wouldn't exactly say it was comfortable lying on the cold ground, inside a tent all by yourself. I felt the texture of the ground nagging against my back, feeling as though bugs were crawling all over me. Under my clothes, in my hair, under my nails.

I laid on my back for a long time just staring into the nothingness until my body finally gave in and I found myself consumed by the darkness.

***

I'd hardly gotten any sleep. The animals of the night didn't make it any better with their muffled growls and piercing howls.

I zipped open my tent and started to find my way as golden light flickered through the trees from the newly risen sun. The sky peeked through golden leaves, only a few clouds visible.

I'm not sure when I had stopped walking, but I had. A familiar blonde hair plastered onto a slender body strolled past the trees with his hands deep in the pockets of his black pants.

He hadn't noticed me, but if I took another step I knew he would. His face was relaxed as he looked at the ground. He wasn't walking fast like I'd expected him to. No, he was walking as if he was alone. This was Malfoy unfiltered. No mask, no reputation. This was the Malfoy no one was ever going to see, and I didn't want to stay any longer to find out what that was like.

I didn't care if it was a detour as I immediately turned 90 degrees and walked in the other direction. This scene was not going to happen. Not today. I kept walking and didn't glance back at Malfoy a single time.

When I arrived at the Camp circle, I saw a group of people gathered around something. I came closer and saw buckets of different colors placed on the ground, bearing the colors red and blue. Flags were hanging in matching colors at the sides.

Hermione appeared by me, and her face twitched into a smile as she saw the question painted on my face.

"What are we playing?" I asked, the sounds of people gathering growing louder in the background.