40

Adrianna pov

As I'm walking to my car, I feel a hard impact on the back of my head. I whip around, blinking a few times to try and clear my vision but it doesn't work. I was too distracted in my own thoughts.

Adrianna you idiot.

I then feel a prick on the side of my neck and then darkness.

***

A few moments later, I wake up inside of a van. They clearly underestimated the dosage my body needs to be knocked out for a while. I look around the van, taking in my surroundings when I see my mother knocked out, laying down on the opposite side of me.

I continue to look around when I see a small black box sitting against one of the walls. I open it and it's filled with a syringe and a note. I open the note and read it.

Dear Adrianna,

by now you would of woken up in this van. If you're wondering who I am, it's Adonis. Not a hard thing to figure out. In this box I have left you a syringe of you're favourite thing. I remember Nikolai telling me you and Andrew loved it, so I thought it would be a nice welcome home present! All you have to do inject yourself with it. I have also borrowed your mother as leverage, so do what I say and she won't get hurt.

I plan to destroy your family bit by bit, and you're going to help me. Don't bother trying to escape, there are no exits. I had this van specially made for you. Another homecoming present if you wish to think of it like that.

See you soon.

I crinkle the note and shove it in my bag. I stare at the syringe containing the drug I used to be so addicted to. The drug I still crave daily. The reward I used to get when I successfully completed a mission, or behaved well.

It is sitting in my hands right now, begging me to inject it. I check to make sure mum is still asleep as I take the syringe from the box and sit it next to me. I hide the box in my bag as I pick up the needle.

I stare at it for a few moments. It's not like I can have anymore after this. I won't get addicted again. It's only one dose.

I stretch my left arm in front of me and once I spot a vein I stick the needle into it. I inject myself with the drug then hide the syringe in my bag. A few moments later I start to feel the effects.

Everything is calmer. Quieter. Better.

If I stare at one spot for too long it starts to move. I chuckle a bit at this. I'm losing my mind and it's addicting. I'm not trapped inside of it, constantly having thoughts about things I do not wish to think about.

I feel so much lighter. It's like a breath of fresh air. It's refreshing.

Then my mum wakes up. She sits up and frantically looks around the room, wondering where she is. I try to distract herself from the panic attack she is bound to have. I take a deep breath, calming myself.

"We have been heading North for 46 minutes." I say. She frowns, as if she doesn't believe me. How rude.

"I can tell by where the sun is shining, and I didn't go unconscious when they drugged me, I passed out, but woke up as soon as they started driving.

There are no ways out at the moment. No windows, no handles on the inside. No bits of metal or plastic around either. They didn't check my bag for weapons, but they took all of the ones I had on me.

I have a gun and a few knives but this van is bullet proof so it's completely useless, and to cut through this metal would take days. They know what I've been trained and they've made sure I wouldn't find a way out.