s i x t e e n

March 3rd 2017
Avengers Compound

After her talk with Steve, Ember returned to her place in the corner, pulling out her phone and opening up the magic tab she had yet to close on google once again.

'The Real Truths Behind Sorcery and Witchcraft'

She opened the article, it was full of passages and pictures from and about the myths and legends attached to sorcery.

"Ember? I didn't know you'd be here."

Ember looked up, the familiar face putting a smile on her face.

"I live here, remember." She joked, motioning for him to sit down across from her.

"It's been a while, how've you been?" Ember asked.

Ricky sat down across from Ember, a drink of his own sat on the table.

Ricky and Ember had passed each other in corridors and conference halls etc a few times since that one time he asked her out for coffee, but it had been a couple of weeks since they had seen each other.

"I was in Switzerland on a mission for a fortnight— Nothing too eventful." He said, "What about you? How's the Compound treating you?"

Ember just shrugged, "I dunno, man. I just feel so mentally drained, y'know. Trapped, like I need to get out, get some release."

"Understandable." He gave her a curt nod, "It will be over soon, they can't keep you here forever, then you'll be able to get outta here."

"Sure hope so." She sighed.

"You need it." He replied, "It's as if the compound is draining the life out of you."

"That's definitely one way of putting it."

"Just give it time, Rose— All will work out."

Ricky looked over to across the room, meeting the eyes of one specific blonde who was glaring at him— If looks could kill, this would be Rickys funeral, not a party.

Ricky flashed him a small smile, hoping to ease some of the tension, but that didn't work out too well for him.

"What's his problem?" Ricky asked, eyes still on Steve.

"Who?" Ember asked, sipping on her cocktail.

"Mr America over there." He nodded his head towards Steve, "He keeps glaring at me."

"Oh, Rogers? Just ignore him."

"Has he been bothering you?" He asked, concerned.

"Bothering me? What? No, of course not. We just had a rocky start, that's all."

"Right."

Ember looked up at Steve who was still looking at them from the other side of the room. She watched as his face instantly softened as his eyes went from glaring at Ricky, so a sad, almost smile, directed at her.

The glance between them didn't go unnoticed, Ricky watched them both, his eyes flickering between Ember and Steve.

He cleaned his throat and stood up from the chair, "I'm gonna go— Catch up with some other agents, it was nice seeing you again Ember, we'll need to do it again sometime."

"Yeah, nice talking to you." She smiled as he walked off, leaving her to sit down at the table alone once again.

Ember thought about pulling her phone back out and once again and reading over the thousands of articles on the art of sorcery again, but the crowds were getting larger, and the 'villain' that the Avengers had picked up didn't need to look anymore suspicious than she already did.